66°

UMass Boston student among the youngest school board members in the country

“The best advice I can give is to find something you are passionate about and become involved, because you never know the impact that you can make.”

Brian Edmonds, a 19-year-old University of Massachusetts Boston sophomore, serves on the North Middlesex Regional School District School Committee.
To earn this position, Edmonds campaigned outside the polling stations as a write-in candidate during the April 2013 special elections. He spoke with voters and expressed his innovative ideas for the district, which includes the towns of Pepperell, Townsend, and Ashby, Mass.
“It is an incredible feeling to be one of the youngest elected officials out there. I am extremely honored that the constituents of my home town, Pepperell, were confident in my experiences and new, unique perspective, and have given me the opportunity to vote on decisions that use my knowledge and understanding to make our district the best educational environment possible,” Edmonds says.
Edmonds works with Superintendent Joan Landers to on an initiative to open a Commonwealth Virtual School in his district. He states that if this initiative succeeds, it will provide new and exciting educational opportunities to students throughout the commonwealth.
Edmunds sees chances for other young students to make a difference in their lives and the lives of others, whether or not they want to be involved in a political system.
The school committee sets educational goals and policies, and reviews and approves the annual budget. Working with various town officials, committees and the Massachusetts School Building Authority, the committee is looking at building a new high school.
“Having been in this position for a few months, it is easy to see how someone could become burned out and frustrated,” he says.
“I haven’t let tough choices take away my vigor and eagerness for making a difference and getting the job done.”