66°

Man binge-watches ‘Breaking Bad’ in 72 hours

They went to the desert to watch in seclusion

Wayne Wilkerson always heard good things about the show “Breaking Bad,” but he never had watched a single episode of the critically acclaimed series.
Leading up to the series finale, there was a flurry of media coverage and buzz on the last episode. Everywhere Wilkerson looked, there was “Breaking Bad” staring back at him: on television, the internet, radio, and magazine stands. 
When one of his friends announced they were going to throw a “Breaking Bad” finale party, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Wilkerson was going to that party, and he was going to catch up on the episodes. This decision was made at 12 a.m. on the Friday before the finale, which aired on Sunday. He had 69 hours to watch 61 episodes.
Forty-five hours were needed to watch every episode, with 16 set aside for sleep. Wilkerson felt he could do it. But he needed help, which is where his friend Jason Plimpton came in.
Plimpton was a lucky find because he not only had a Netflix account, but he had already seen the first season. And he had an RV! As Plimpton drove his RV out to the country (so they wouldn’t be bothered by their friends and family), Wilkerson was able to sit in the back and immediately watch all the espisodes in Season 1.
Plimpton, who had so far watched every episode in the current season, said he could also drive to the party as Wilkerson finished those.
It seemed like a good plan. But things never go as planned.
At one point, their generator blew out, leaving them without electricity until they made batteries using zinc from bolts and nuts on the RV and phosphorous from the front brake pads.
Then they spent over two hours trying to kill a fly.
The two reported that they made it to the party tired, hungry, and hating each other, but they had caught up on the show.
“I’ve never felt so alive,” said Wilkerson.
“I hope Skylar dies,” he added, to the extreme discomfort of every woman at the party. “Does she finally bite it in this episode? I hate her so much. What a bitch, am I right? Kind of reminds me of my mom.”