66°

Punk Rock at the Great Scott

Cronin (right) playing with his band. 

The Great Scott attracted a massive crowd of local punk rock fans for an evening of musical chaos on June 17. The show quickly sold out, despite its taking place on a Monday night.
Following the opening act, New Hampshire-based garage punk/soul rock band the MIGS, the crowd scrambled to the main stage for the highly-anticipated set of Baltimore grunge rockers, Roomrunner.
Known for their use of heavy guitar riffs and raw musical distortion, Roomrunner shares an uncanny resemblance to the innovative bands of ‘90’s grunge, especially Nirvana.
Roomrunner’s performance flooded the crowd with alternative nostalgia as they echoed the angstful lyrics of frontman Denny Bowen’s screeching vocals. The band performed a number of new tracks from last month’s release of their first full-length album, “Ideal Cities.”
The nostalgia continued when west coast garage rockers Shannon and the Clams hit the stage. The 60s-inspired trio from Oakland, Calif., performed a set  that alternated between the classic sounds of garage punk psychedelia and songs with more complex melodies that emphasized the impressive vocal range of lead singer and bassist, Shannon Shaw.
Despite Shannon and the Clams’ California origins, the crowd of east coast locals was more than familiar with the band — they were outright devoted fans. Everyone near the front and surrounding area of the stage sang along and danced to the best of their ability in the jam-packed venue.
A rush of ecstasy blasted through Great Scott when the show’s closing musician, California native, Mikal Cronin seized the stage. Cronin was the most anticipated performer of the night due to his rising national status as a garage punk artist.
Formerly best known for collaborating with fellow garage rocker, Ty Segall, on his first full-length album, “Reverse Shark Attack,” Cronin decided to go solo after touring with Segall’s band last year.
Cronin established himself as a solo artist when his second full-length album, “MCII” was released in May, garnering positive reviews. 
Cronin and his band put on an incredible show as they performed a number of songs from both albums. The crowd’s earlier appreciation of Roomrunner and Shannon and the Clams served was nothing compared to the state of euphoria that captured the venue during Cronin’s performance.
Both the audience and band were spent by the night’s final song, drenched in sweat and adrenaline. The bands had just finished up a night of killer performances for a cool crowd, and the audience had just seen one hell of a show.