63°

Fantasy football: six of your questions answered

Vernon Davis will have a monster year

Can Alfred Morris duplicate his incredible rookie season?
I think so. Robert Griffin III was down to only four designed runs per game by the end of last year, and the Redskins will call plays more conservatively with his surgically repaired knee. Expect Morris to be in the top five in the league in attempts. I made him the ninth overall pick in one of my leagues, and I think he’s worth a first-round pick all day.
Would you go with wide receivers or running backs as flex players?
I’d go with a running back. There’s a ton of depth at receiver this year, so if you want an advantage, get an extra, quality running back to play in the flex. In the points-per-reception leagues I’m in, I have Giovanni Bernard from the Cincinnati Bengals and Shane Vereen from the New England Patriots as my starting flex players.
How important are specials teams and defenses in fantasy football?
I think that defense can make a huge difference, and don’t just play the same one every week. Last year, in my championship game, I picked up the San Diego Chargers defense because they were matched up against the New York Jets. They scored 20 key points on the way to a win.
Don’t draft a defense early, but keep an eye on what they’re doing week in and week out, and don’t be afraid to switch. I have Arizona this year, and I think they were a steal in the 11th round.
In which round should I draft a kicker?
Unless you draft Blair Walsh or Stephen Gostowski, I’d save the kicker pick for one of the last two or three rounds. After the top two guys there’s a bit of a drop off and then a big pack of pretty good fantasy kickers, such as Stephen Hauschka, Dan Bailey, and Justin Tucker.
If you don’t feel like reaching for one of the top two guys (I never do), then don’t cave in to the peer pressure. Wait until a late round.
What are good options for tight ends in the league without Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski? 
If you don’t take Jimmy Graham in the first round, take Vernon Davis. The last time Davis took the field, during the most recent Super Bowl, he had over 150 yards. His chemistry with Colin Kaepernick has improved over the off season, and the San Francisco 49ers have limited options in the passing game. 
I’d also think about Greg Olsen from the Carolina Panthers, Jermaine Gresham from the Cincinnati Bengals, or Jordan Cameron from the Cleveland Browns in a later round.
Is Stevan Ridely worth a second-round draft pick?
In other years I’d say no, but this year I think he’s worth a first-round pick in a deeper league. He had nearly 1300 yards last year and 12 touchdowns, and should put up the same numbers in 2013. I’d seriously think about him in the 12-15 range, and if he slides past 18, grab him.