66°

Student Government statement about Crystal Transportation

In today’s edition of The Boston Globe, a story appeared detailing federal penalties being leveled against Crystal Transportation, the company that provides shuttle bus service to UMass Boston and service to sports teams traveling to away games. The violations detailed in the story include a report that drivers of shuttles were allowed to drive before their drug test results came back and a number of them tested positive for controlled substances. To read the full story, 

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/03/20/bus-company-serving-umass-boston-has-interstate-authority-revoked/bImrFvcaAZMJgco6gNLFDN/story.html?s_campaign=email_BG_TodaysHeadline
As elected student leaders at the University of Massachusetts Boston, we collectively express our concern about today’s Crystal Transport article in the Boston Globe. Any safety threat to our students is cause for immediate alarm. Whenever our school’s most important asset is threatened, it becomes imperative for all of us to stand united and work together towards the best solutions. That said, we have individually spoken with university and student affairs leadership and are confident that this situation is being addressed with the upmost urgency and consideration. We have been assured that this is a top priority for the UMass Boston administration, and that, if alternative transportation to and from JFK/UMass MBTA station and UMass Boston becomes necessary, the university will ensure it is provided. We cannot stress enough our confidence in the university, while working collaboratively with students, to take every measure necessary, apparent and unseen, to safely protect our students at all times.
Nolan O’Brien – Student Trustee
Kayla Worthey – President, Undergraduate Student Government
Jesse Wright – President, Graduate Student Assembly