66°

American designers showcase their latest creations at New York Fashion Week

NYFW
NYFW

New York’s Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week recently wrapped up its fall 2014 presentations, leaving the fashion-conscious with a new set of trends and styling ideas to incorporate into their current wardrobes. Here’s a rundown of the collections of three American fashion industry vets: Tommy Hilfiger, Michael Kors, and Betsey Johnson.
Tommy Hilfiger brought Scandinavia to New York this year with his Nordic-inspired collection. The collection featured all the staples of winter design. There was no shortage of wool trim, denim, or Fair Isle knits on the runway. Still, Hilfiger was able to reinvent classic winter wear, putting interesting twists on traditional pieces.
Stylish yet practical, the collection consisted of trendy ready-to-wear pieces, layered to create aesthetic depth. Bright vests and wool coats were worn over multicolored dresses and striped sweaters. Roomy boyfriend jeans were paired with waist-length jackets, while short skirts were worn under oversized knitwear. Prominent themes included plaids, layers, and warm tones. 
Keeping with the wintry motif, runway looks were accessorized with knit pom-pom beanies and the occasional pair of ski goggles. Other accessories included wedge sneakers, neutral-tone handbags, and aviator glasses. Noticeably absent were the oversized knit scarves that were wildly popular in seasons past. Instead, Hilfiger opted to accessorize models with light, snugly wrapped scarves, a creative addition to the typical winter outfit.
The hair and makeup styling was minimal. Fresh-faced models sported natural makeup and straight-down hairstyles.
Overall, the collection has clear commercial appeal and similar pieces will undoubtedly be on display in the windows of national retailers and local boutiques come fall.
Michael Kors’s collection was designed for the modern Bohemian sophisticate. Models gracefully floated down the runway, draped in loose-fitting garments. The collection featured long, loose lines and flowing silhouettes, giving wearers an air of Parisian urbanity. 
Inspired by the 1970s, the collection showcased below-the-knee chiffon dresses, boat-neck necklines, fringe detailing, and palazzo trousers. Each piece featured fantastic detail, including but not limited to, shimmering appliques, billowing poet sleeves, and metal embellishments. Runway showstoppers came in the form of a patterned floor-length chiffon gown, a minimalistic, black, white, and gray pantsuit, and a cream ensemble that consisted of an overcoat, cable-knit sweater, and fringe skirt. 
The collection’s primary color scheme consisted of solid neutral tones, namely browns, taupes, and grays, and both animal and abstract prints. Several looks were somewhat monochromatic, including an all-brown turtleneck, overcoat, and trouser combo, which happened to be one of the few menswear looks.
Models donned a variety of accessories ranging from large fur scarves and leather shoulder bags, to chunky heels and oversized clutches.
The styling was simple and elegant. Models wore natural makeup; no more than a light layer of blush and nude lip color. Wispy up-dos made each look appear effortless.
Those seeking a mature and timeless look can certainly draw inspiration from this well-designed collection.  
Betsey Johnson, known for her whimsical creations, did not disappoint with her aptly titled collection, “Hot.” With a fiery color palette and loud patterns, “Hot” is not for fashion’s faint of heart.
During Johnson’s spunky runway show, audience members watched as animated models in playfully kitsch outfits strutted down a classic white runway. Each look that came down the runway was even more delightfully eccentric than the next. The wilder pieces in the collection included a blue fur vest, a chartreuse catsuit, a fishnet blouse, a shiny black patent leather party dress, and a red sequined pantsuit. Overarching themes included color clashing, neon, exaggerated animal prints, layering, cutouts, and high hemlines.
Models accessorized with polychromatic striped knee-highs, gaudy gold jewelry, doorknocker earrings, bedazzled mouse rings, and other assorted quirky items. 
As far as styling and makeup, models wore bold lipstick, rosy eye makeup and colorful nail art. While some models sported short alternative haircuts, others rocked long, wavy mermaid hairstyles.
Those who are looking to jazz up their wardrobes but lack the bravado to pull off an entire Betsey Johnson look, can try incorporating single pieces and accessories to add spice to a lackluster outfit.
This year’s fall showcase was impressive and, in some ways, commercially accessible. Those interested in staying ahead of the fashion curve can end winter on a stylish note by experimenting with any or all of these inventive cold-weather trends.