66°

Position change pays off for Women’s Hockey star

Fallon has used her size to become a dominant force for the Beacons

The University of Massachusetts Boston Women’s Ice Hockey team, which is heading into the ECAC East Playoffs with an 11–10–4 record, has seen incredible production from breakout star Samantha Fallon.
The sophomore from Pembroke, Mass. has notched 18 points through 25 games this season. After a season at defense, Fallon switched to forward this season and saw an enormous increase to her offensive production, going from three goals last season to 15 this year while also earning three assists. She also recorded the first hat trick of her career in a 5–2 victory over Nichols College on Jan. 31.
Fallon says that the switch to forward allowed for more playing time, enabling her to play a bigger role in the Beacons’ scoring efforts. She also added, “The team as a whole has worked together really well this year and without the players next to me, I wouldn’t be as successful as I am.”
Fallon says that she has played a more vocal role this year and that the leadership of the team has been a driving force behind the success, saying, “Our captains are phenomenal and have done a great job.” The sophomore added that the coaching staff for the Beacons has also been helpful in creating more scoring opportunities.
“The system we have now is unbelievable and has helped us get the puck out of the defensive zone quickly, so both [Coaches Colleen Harris and Lindsay Berman] have done a great job to make more scoring opportunities for everybody,” she said.
Fallon says that the quality of schools and hockey programs in New England were major factors in her decision to play at UMass Boston.
“It’s definitely cool to only be 45 minutes away from home and that my parents are able to make all of the home games,” says Fallon, adding that the closeness to home is comfortable for her.
This season has been historic for the Beacons, as they won the first Codfish Bowl in the program’s history. Fallon was named the MVP of the tournament, scoring the game-winning goals in a 4–3 victory over Stevenson University and a 2–0 victory over Connecticut College in the championship game.
“It was a huge honor [to win MVP] and I didn’t really expect it. We came ready to play and wanted to win the tournament for our seniors to give them the first Codfish championship in program history during their last season,” Fallon said, adding that her success in the tournament could not have happened without the play of her teammates.
In regards to the Conference playoffs, Fallon believes that the Beacons have a good chance of playing deep into them. She stated, “If we come together, buy into the system and bring everything we’ve been taught, I believe we have a very good chance at going far in the playoffs.”