66°

Boston protests against the grand jury decision

Protestors marched through Boston on the night of November 28 in response to the Ferguson grand jury choosing not to indict Officer Darren Wilson.

1,400 citizens of Boston congregated at Dudley Square to demonstrate in response to the grand jury decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson on any criminal charges regarding the fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MS.
The crowd in Boston ranged widely in age, political affiliation, race, and sex. A moment of silence was held for Michael Brown and his family as well as several other African Americans who have been killed by police officers. 
 The crowd made its way to South Bay Correctional facility by way of the Mass Ave Connector. The Boston Police Department prevented protestors from reaching I-93. There were occasional attempts to breach the police line which resulted in arrests. The crowd began to disperse at 9:30 p.m. Smaller groups of protestors attempted to gain access to the highway through other routes but were deterred by police. 
Overall the protest was largely peaceful. When asked what they hoped would come as a result of the demonstration most protestors responded with, “continued collective action” and encouraged a boycott of black friday shopping. 
Boston Police Department officers carried out their duties professionally throughout the event. There was no use of megaphones or any apparent riot gear. The crowd was never directly ordered to disperse or stop.