63°

Beacon Update 11/21/2014

Women’s Basketball
1-1 (0-0 LEC)
The Beacons started off the season with a loss on the road at Colby College in Maine, 79-74. While the record will show a loss, it should be noted that the ladies outscored Colby in the second half, 50-39 after trailing by 16 at halftime. Junior Olivia Murphy led the way with 18 points and 13 rebounds, and sophomore Mallory Nelson turned in a solid performance, with 13 points and ten boards. Senior Captain Kirsten Morrison, just returning from a long volleyball season, played for only five minutes but look for that number to increase in coming weeks. Brittany Moore, the other captain, played for two minutes. A major spark was provided by freshman guard Katie Mathieu, who led the team in minutes for her Beacon debut with 37. She also scored 14 points and tallied three assists.
A few days later, the ladies earned their first win of the season on their home court with an 82-53 thumping of Lasell. Murphy turned in a dominant performance with 28 points and 13 rebounds. Grace Geary added 16 points off the bench and Morrison turned in 14 more. The Beacons have shown a lot of promise over their first two contests and if they keep it up, they should be a contender in the LEC.
Women’s Hockey
5-1-1 (3-1-1 ECAC East)
The ladies are off to their best start ever. They have been one of the biggest surprises in the Clark Center this year as they scored four or more goals in each of their first four matches. A 2-1 victory at Nichols on Nov. 14 was especially significant as it marked the first time in program history that the Beacons started 5-0. They followed that with a 2-0 loss at Manhattanville, their first of the season. The next match was a 1-1 tie with St. Anselm at the Clark Center.
So far, Sara Alonardo is leading the way for the Beacons with four goals. Four Beacons (Alyssa Sullivan, Emily Howard, Jane Morrisette, and Michaela Faia) are tied for second on the team with three apiece. The spread-out scoring totals are a testament to the unselfish play that has allowed the ladies to reach new heights in the early part of the season. Kailyn Burke and Moe Bradley have combined to be a formidable force in net. The duo sports a .884 save percentage to go along with a 2.17 GAA. In fact, they have only allowed more than two goals in a match once. The Beacons have four matches remaining until their winter break, and they are hoping to put some distance between themselves and a very crowded ECAC East.