66°

Beacon Update Oct. 10, 2014

Women’s Tennis
2-7 (1-5 LEC)
The Beacons started off this stretch with a 7-2 loss at the hands of Salem State on Oct. 7. Nurcin Celebi and Martina Daelli got the wins for the Beacons. The next day, they traveled to Western Connecticut, where they exploded for an 8-1 win. Not only did they sweep doubles match-ups, but the Beacons also grabbed wins at first singles (Kristy Garcia) and second singles (Martina Daelli). The Beacons are a long shot to make the playoffs at this point but if they win the remainder of their matches, they’ll qualify for the LEC Tournament.
Men’s Soccer
8-4 (3-0 LEC)
It seems as though the Beacons have turned a corner. In the last two weeks, they have outscored their opponents, 13-2. It all started on Sept. 27 against UMass Dartmouth, when they drubbed the Corsairs at the Clark Center, 7-0. Three Beacons scored multiple goals as they were able to put six second-half shots in the back of the net in a 19 minute span. It was a truly dominant performance. The Beacons outshot the Corsairs 28-3 in the contest and Elton Texeira, Pedro Dasilva, Douglas Silveira, and Luis Mattos all scored. Following a 2-1 loss to Bridgewater state on the 30th, the guys traveled to Eastern Connecticut on Oct. 4, where they stole one 1-0. Pedro Dasilva landed the lone goal for the Beacons in the 54th minute, while Alfonso Rosales recorded a shutout with five saves. On Oct. 7 they ventured to Maine to take on St. Joseph’s college, and left with a 4-0 win. Four different Beacons scored in the route. Estive Sosa grabbed his first career win and shutout in net. With just two weeks left in this campaign, the Beacons will be fighting for all-important playoff position as their regular season winds down.
Dasilva has turned in a massive year with 11 goals in 12 games played. Elton Texiera is next on the team with six scores. Alfonso Rosales is having a great year in net with nine goals allowed in nine matches. The Beacons have six matches remaining before they begin the LEC Tournament.
Women’s Soccer
6-2-3 (3-0 LEC)
The Beacons have shone very brightly in this last stretch, as they seem to have found their stride. They won a nail-biter at UMass Dartmouth on Sept. 27, 3-2. After falling behind, 2-1, the Beacons stormed back in the final ten minutes with a goal from Krista Ledin in the 83rd and one from Natasha Stibor in the 90th. It was Stibor’s first collegiate score and it couldn’t have come at a better time for the Beacons, as they remain atop the Little East. The Beacons next played three days later at home against Salem State, and that match ended in a 1-1 tie. The ladies were given the opportunity to convert a penalty kick in the second overtime period, but it was stopped. Dani Perkins played a great game in goal, with five saves on six shots. In their next match, they tore through Eastern Connecticut State, 4-1, with four different Beacons scoring goals. The Beacons outshot ECSU 17-8 in the contest, with Dani Perkins notching four saves.
The Beacons are currently tied with Western Connecticut State atop the LEC, and they have some time to put some distance between themselves and the competition, as they compete for a second consecutive regular season conference title. Krista Ledin, who recently tallied her 200th career point, leads the way for the Beacons with nine goals, and she is second on the team with four assists. Dani Perkins and Kristen Spain have combined to be dominant for the Beacons, as they have allowed just 11 goals in 11 matches.