66°

Saturday Night Live celebrates 40 years

Saturday Night Live
Saturday Night Live

Mass Media asked some of the students on campus this week whether or not they watched Saturday Night Live. SNL started their 40th season and has gained positive reviews from TV critics and viewers.

The late-night show entertains in a variety of ways, using comedy sketches, parodies, and traditional monologues. Every week the show features a new host and musical guest who performs live acts. The season premiere was headlined by celebrity guest Chris Pratt, in promotion for his new movie ”Guardians of the Galaxy,” and musical guest Ariana Grande, singing her hit songs “Break Free” and “Love Me Harder.”

This season also welcomed Michael Che, the first African-American to co-host the segment “Weekend Update,” as well as the youngest cast member Pete Davidson. MassMedia took to the campus to find out what kind of audience SNL has at the University of Massachusetts Boston.

Surprisingly, not a lot of people watch the show, with less than one-third of the people interviewed saying that they do watch SNL. Additionally, most who do watch have yet to see the season premiere. Nevertheless, they recommend it for anybody who like comedy and celebrities. Some of the viewers at UMass Boston watch SNL online to pass time, but one junior surpassed expectations and told MassMedia that she watches SNL with her family every Saturday night.

With the success past weeks shows, this year holds a promising future for SNL and their cast. Despite the minority of people at UMass Boston watching SNL, the show is strongly recommend, so go and check it out! Episodes can be watched at www.nbc.com.