66°

UMB film series showcases internet addiction in ‘Love Child’ screening

Love Child documentary
Love Child documentary

Last week kicked off the fifth season of the University of Massachusetts Boston’s Film Series, showcasing critically-acclaimed documentaries, as well as Q&A sessions with the film directors.

The first of the films was the thought-provoking movie Love Child, a story surrounding the stigma of Internet addiction emerging from the 2010 Korean trial.

In a case that shocked the world, the couple devoted their time and attention to their virtual life rather than taking care of their own baby daughter, who died of starvation. The film explores the history behind Korea’s gaming culture, and the efforts made in treating those who fall into addiction.

The director, Valerie Veatch, went out to Korea and interviewed citizens on the infamous trial and the games. In the Q&A session, she mentions a lot about the disparities between American and Korean culture, which is clear in the film. The film does a lot to educate viewers on Korea and their rising problems with Internet and gaming addiction. She also emphasize how this film is meant to be a “cautionary tale-type film,” warning viewers of the repercussions that comes along with Internet gaming.

An overall great film, the audience at Thursday’s event showed positive feedback as they complimented her efforts in creating a movie that resonates with everyone, especially in an age in which technology is a part of everyday life. Many people liked the music in the film, and especially how it ties in with the thematic message of digital reality.

After this very compelling documentary there is a lot of anticipation for the upcoming screenings.

The next movie to premiere in UMB film series is ”Captivated: The Trails of Pamela Smart” on Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. at the Campus Center Ballroom. Anyone is welcome to attend.