66°

UMass Boston’s under-appreciated gems

Open Monday-Friday 9:00-4:00, Photo by Junhao Yu

For freshmen and new students, seeing as it’s the start of a brand new semester, it’s only natural that the new surroundings seem weird and alien. Which is we we here at the Mass Media have decided to take it upon ourselves to educate you about some of the most underrated aspects of the university. Enjoy:

1. The Catwalk: In this age of erratic weather conditions, navigating your way to class amidst adverse atmospheric elements sometimes proves treacherous. The best way to get to class on a snowy day without turning into the abominable snowman is to comfortably walk through the warm catwalk. The catwalk doesn’t just provide access to every building on campus; it goes a step further by giving detailed directions to each building. Its usefulness is underrated if you ask me.

2. Relaxation and Study Spots: Often, when school gets hectic (coupled with countless hours spent trying to find the ever-elusive parking) we just want to sit somewhere comfy and chill out. Well, if you attend the University of Massachusetts Boston and you ever need to sit and collect your thoughts, you’re in luck! We have the Ryan Lounge in McCormack, the Atrium Lounge, the Point Lounge, and the Harbor Lounges on three floors of the Campus Center to name but a few. Take your pick, it’s almost like the school is trying to make you lazy!

3. The Well-Equipped Library: It’s a given that every respectable college or university should have a properly functioning library, and UMass Boston certainly meets that requirement. The Healey Library unarguably meets this standard. It has eight above-ground levels and two underground floors, all with different uses, and it’s open every day of the week with student-friendly hours: 7:30 a.m.–10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m.–6 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sundays. Also on tap are more than 15 print stations, various computers and laptops for students to borrow, general-use computer labs stocked with 24-inch screen Mac computers, and much more. The library also has 45,622 paper books in circulation, 22,279 books online. Oh, and did I forget to mention the Jazzman Cyber Café?

4. Diversity: Personally speaking, I haven’t seen a more diverse group of people than right here on our campus. According to the most recent statistics available, our student population had 1,861 Blacks and African-Americans, 7,840 Caucasians, 1,202 Hispanics and Latinos, 169 Cape Verdeans, 1,547 Asians, 47 American Indians, four Pacific Islanders, and 79 students registered as other. There are 20 organizations affiliated with race, nationality, ethnicity and religion on campus, including the Black Student Center, the Asian Student Center, Casa Latina, and more. The school also provides a healthy environment for people of every gender and sexual orientation. Groups like the Queer Student Center make sure of that.

5. The Harbor: Anyone who appreciates the beauty of nature must appreciate the harbor surrounding UMass Boston. Bostonharborwalk.com certainly agrees. According to the website, “The University of Massachusetts Boston campus, located on Columbia Point, provides one of the city’s longest uninterrupted portions of HarborWalk, perfect for walkers and joggers, as well as photographers.” The school overlooks the Atlantic Ocean, which also serves as a site for the school’s sailing club. The harbor has a reputation as a tourist attraction, but we are privy to that beauty of nature every day.

6. The Greenhouse: According to The Point publication, greenhouse manager Jim Allen refers to the greenhouse as one of the hidden jewels of UMass Boston. To see the beauty that Allen is referring to, all you have to do is head to the fourth floor of the Science Center and follow the signs. The greenhouse contains over a thousand plants in three rooms, as well as a teaching space. There are large tanks populated with colorful fish and cages with chirping birds. It’s another good place on campus where one can truly appreciate the unparalleled beauty of nature.