63°

Fantasy football dictionary

PPR League: A league that awards “points per reception,” basically a point every time a player catches a pass. It’s very important to know whether or not your league is PPR before you draft, as you’ll be targeting different players.
ADP: Average draft position. This is a very important metric because it allows you to somewhat predict when a player will go, so you don’t make the very common mistake of drafting him too early.
Keeper league: A variety of fantasy league where you are able to keep players from the previous year, if you are willing to surrender a pick in this year’s draft in the same round that they were taken. So if you took Tom Brady in the 6th round in 2013 and wanted to keep him this year, you would have no 6th round pick in your 2014 draft.
Sleeper: A player that is not getting much buzz before drafts that could end up being a very productive fantasy player. Fantasy Guru Dave Richard told us that the Patriots’ Kenbrell Thompkins could be a major sleeper for 2014.
RB1/ WR1: The number next to the position name designates where in your lineup he should be played. The best players at their position are 1’s. So Calvin Johnson is a WR1, while, say, Eric Decker, is a WR2.
Bust: A draft pick that does not pan out because the player is either unproductive or doesn’t get on the field due to injury.
Waiver wire: This is where players that went undrafted are available to be picked up. Great players end up being picked up from the wire every year, like Julius Thomas in 2013 or Alfred Morris in 2012. First priority goes to the team with the worst record in the league.
FLEX: A position in a lineup where a player can play either a running back, wide receiver, or tight end. Not all leagues play with a FLEX option but it is becoming increasingly popular because it gives players a wider margin of error if they set an unsuccessful lineup.
100 yard bonus: Perhaps the most underrated thing to consider in fantasy, many leagues offer a 5 point bonus if your player goes over 100 yards rushing or receiving. Make sure you know if your league has a bonus before you draft. *NOTE* In some rare cases, leagues offer a 5 point bonus for 300 yards passing, but since the NFL has become more pass-oriented, that’s become antiquated.