66°

The 1975: the British invasion continues

The+1975
The 1975

The self-titled debut album from British band, The 1975, could be played in the background of any ’80s teen movie. The Manchester indie-rock band has songs ranging from sex and drugs to typical teenage heartbreak. The album finds a balance between upbeat, catchy songs, and slower, more dreamlike tunes.
“Chocolate” is one of the finest singles and boasts the catchiest chorus off the album. The lyrics carry a carefree and indifferent attitude, “We run, run away from the boys in the blue and my car smells like chocolate.” It’s a song about being young and rebellious, and it’s nearly impossible to get it out of your head once it’s stuck in there.
Halfway through the album is “Robbers,” the classic ’80s prom scene song. Matt Healy, The 1975’s lead singer, shows off his vocal range during the ballad. It’s a love song like any other, but Healy’s vocals are what make it more grounded and raw.
The track that stands out the brightest is “Menswear.” The song begins with a subtle beat that builds until Healy’s vocals come in. It’s a slow build-up that almost drags, but once Healthy comes in he runs through the lyrics quickly. “Menswear” talks about getting drunk at a wedding and the way Healy rushes through the lyrics makes it seem as if he is slurring words. The song’s rhythm compounds the lyrics so strongly that they almost appear visually.
The best part about The 1975’s debut album is the arrangement. The songs transition effortlessly from one to another and the album flows easily. As soon as an otherworldly, emotion-filled song finishes, a light and easy-going one comes back to lift you back up.