66°

Every student should download Too Good to Go

Too Good to Go is an app designed to reduce food waste and hunger, tackling two large-scale issues that the nation has faced throughout recent years. The app works in connection with local businesses and restaurants, listing “surprise bags” each day that customers can pick up during a designated time frame. There are “bags” available to buy at all times of the day, depending on when the business is closing. 

A “surprise bag” is just that: a surprise! It is a selection of food that did not sell during the day and either cannot be sold the next day, or would not be as fresh if sold the following day. The customer has no idea what will be in their bag until they arrive to pick it up. Each business is different; some will have their surprise bags ready before the customer arrives, others will grab the items once they have arrived, while some will make the food when the customer gets there. 

The price a customer pays for their food depends on the restaurant or business, and is listed next to the name of the establishment on the Too Good to Go app. The typical price point for a meal placed on the app is between $3.99 and $4.99. There are a few local juice shops that can get as pricey as $9.99, but that is the highest the app has gone pricewise thus far. This low price point makes it a perfect choice for college students and those on a low budget. 

The amount of food given to customers is supposed to be worth roughly three times the amount paid. For example, if the order cost $3.99, then the customer would be given $12 worth of food. This low cost allows for businesses to get money back on their investment on supplies, while also getting rid of whatever food could not be sold the next day.  

Too Good to Go was only launched in 2016, though it has gained popularity and traction more recently from the social media app TikTok. In my opinion, it’s only a matter of time before it takes off and becomes as mainstream as other widely used apps such as DoorDash, Amazon and Ebay. 

Thanks to this app, the possibilities are endless for students who are hungry and looking for a quick, cheap meal in Boston. People are always on the lookout for a deal, especially students. If you’re not too picky and willing to try something new for a few bucks, you likely won’t be disappointed by this app. Because the value of the food given to the customer is so much higher than what they paid, it’s easy to be content with your purchase. Even if you only like a couple things in your surprise bag, it likely would have still cost you $4 to buy them outside of the app. With the amount of money you’re saving versus the amount of food you’re given, you can always share whatever leftovers you have with friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. 

While more students should use Too Good to Go because it is a smart investment for their wallet, there are also environmental impacts and benefits to consider. Food waste and loss is a major contribution to climate change due to its significant greenhouse gas footprint. By reducing food waste, Too Good to Go is also combating climate change. 

Whether you’re passionate about fighting food waste and climate change, or you’re just looking for a cheap meal, every student should have Too Good to Go downloaded on their smartphone. Stop getting cheap, quick meals from places like McDonald’s and instead support local businesses through this innovative app.

Grace Smith, Editor-in-Chief