63°

UMass Boston lacrosse update

Josh Kotler
UMass Boston’s Chad Kidd (#34) in the game against MIT at Roberts Field, Cambridge, March 30, 2022. Photo by Josh Kotler / Mass Media Staff

Over the course of the last few weeks, the UMass Boston lacrosse team has been just about as good as a team can be. Prior to this week, the Beacons were undefeated sitting at 7–0. However, a couple teams gave them a run for their money, as both Nichols College and Southwestern University were narrowly beaten by UMass Boston in overtime, showing they were at least beatable. The Beacons had two matchups this past week and here is how it all panned out.
Their first game this past week took place on Wednesday against MIT. Going into this game, MIT was also undefeated, so it was going to be a clash of the titans kind of game. 
The action started with UMass Boston coming out to a 2–0 lead with goals from Darragh Fahey and Luke Murphy in the first five minutes of action. However, MIT would score two goals in the final five minutes of the first quarter. Things would get worse for the Beacons in the second quarter, as MIT would score eight additional goals to take a 10–5 lead going into the third quarter of action. The third quarter would be relatively even as both teams would score five goals to make it 15–10 going into the fourth. The final quarter of play would be a quiet one as two goals from MIT and one from the Beacons would officially put UMass Boston’s unbeaten season to bed with a final score of 17–11.
Despite the loss, the Beacons showed that they could have beaten MIT just as easily, but a rough second quarter ultimately cost them big time. When playing another high caliber team, being outscored by five in one quarter could be the difference between a win or loss.
The Beacons’ second game of the week came this past Saturday against the 5–4 Salem State University. Saying UMass Boston came out ready to play would be an understatement. It certainly felt like the Beacons weren’t happy about losing their first game of the season, so they took it out on Salem State University. 
It is safe to say the game was all but over in the first quarter as the Beacons would score a whopping 13 goals to take a 13–2 lead. They would not let up in the second as the Beacons would fire home another seven goals to take a 20–2 lead into halftime. The Beacons never let up throughout this contest as they outscored Salem State University 10–7 in the third and fourth quarter to win by a final score of 30–9. 
It is worth noting that three Beacons had three or more goals in this contest, as Zach Mann had six, Michael Claflin had five and Gavin Admirand had three. Overall, it was a great showing and a terrific way to bounce back from their loss to MIT.
Up next will be another two-game week for the Beacons as they will face Babson College on Wednesday and Massachusetts Maritime Academy on Saturday. Babson is currently sitting at 4–4 on the season, so it is expected that the Beacons should take care of business just as they did against Salem State University. Massachusetts Maritime Academy is a team who has struggled this season as they sit at 3–6 on the year. However, a 19–8 win over the University of Southern Maine could give them a boost of confidence going into this matchup with UMass Boston. With the schedule starting to ramp up for UMass Boston, it’ll be interesting to see if they can maintain their current momentum throughout the rest of the season.

Josh Kotler, Photographer