55°

How to enjoy a spring weekend in Boston

Ashley (L) and Miles (R) have a picnic out on the Harbor Walk on Tuesday, April 19, 2022. Photo by Olivia Reid / Mass Media Staff

Springtime in Boston includes a number of enjoyable, yearly events that take advantage of the nicer weather. With spring being the last chance to relax before the conclusion of the academic year and final exams, everyone looks forward to this time because it’s one of the very few in college when one actually gets away from the stress. At the same time, a week passes fairly quickly, and students don’t want to return to class feeling like they squandered their time off. Take advantage of the opportunity to be surrounded by lush and flowers by going on picnics and taking in the scenery.
Beach picnics are popular among college students since they are a great blend of sea, beach, music and delectable food. Invite some friends to go shopping for essentials like disposable dinnerware and cups, beach volleyballs and sunscreen. Heading to Carson Beach, sitting and eating is a perfect way to relax before final exams begin and summer break starts. The dishes at any good picnic should not be too elaborate because beach parties need simplicity and naturalness. 
On hot days, fresh fruit can be a tempting and healthy alternative to sweets. If appearance is important in order to get the perfect Instagram shot, it will be at its tastiest when used in juices, smoothies or skewers. Fruits can be chopped into interesting shapes and served with yogurt or sorbet. Snacks and sandwiches are a fantastic alternative if attendees want to provide something more filling. 
Music is also a great way to have a fun picnic! It doesn’t require an orchestra, since, as previously stated, a beach gathering should be relaxed and natural. If one can play an instrument such as the guitar, ukulele, drums or even a violin, then the picnic will be great. Using a speaker is also a really great option, but make sure that no one else sitting nearby is being disturbed by the music being played. 
Remember to leave the area in the same condition it was before it started, if not better. Gather all trash and advise friends and other attendees to do the same. If someone prefers gardens to beaches, then the Boston Garden may be the perfect spot. You can sit right next to the frog pond, play with the squirrels and watch the ducks play in the water. As Amy Daire from Insider said:
“You don’t have to lay down the checkered blanket and carry wicker baskets, but getting all your friends together for a big outdoor lunch is a great way to kick off the season” (1).  
For those who don’t want to go on picnics but still want to enjoy the beauty of spring, the Museum of Fine Arts’ “Art in Bloom” festival is right around the corner. Fine art and flowery designs are featured in “Art in Bloom,” the MFA’s exuberant ode to spring. “Art in Bloom” was created to engage, delight and educate.  The “Art in Bloom” event is back after almost three years and there will be floral arrangements by 50 New England florists. The event will have many guest speakers, events and shopping. The event will be running from April 29 to May 1, so interested students better act fast (2). 
The MFA houses one of the most important art collections in the country. Its holdings cover the whole planet and all of human history. The museum is open to all UMass Boston students for free. MFA tickets are only accessible on the same day and onsite with a valid university ID, hence making this pocket-friendly.   
The spring semester is about to end in just about five weeks, and most of the students will be going back home for their summer break, so this is the time for them to hang out together and enjoy the last bit of the semester.
1.     https://www.insider.com/things-to-do-in-the-spring-2017-3#6-go-to-an-art-festival-6  
2.     https://www.mfa.org/event/special-event/art-in-bloom

Vansh Khokhani, Arts Writer