63°

Why students should open a stock portfolio, and what industries they should invest in

A UMass Boston student looks in disappointment as they check the stock market.

From the age of 18 onward, every person residing in the United States can open up a stock portfolio and invest in the United States stock exchange. Whether it be the OTC pink market for penny stocks, NASDAQ, or the DOW Jones Stock Exchange, students should be willing to invest some of their spare change into a few different companies they believe could flourish with what is happening around the world in both technological advances seen with artificial intelligence, and the similar and contrasting lifestyles across different cultures.
Some of the industries that have stock prices currently through the roof are mainly companies seen on an everyday basis; Amazon, Google, Tesla or Apple may come to mind when thinking about some of the stocks that have higher prices in shares. Of course, these companies play a vital role in the lives of everyone, with Apple being at the forefront of the phone industry, and Google being a leader in internet and browsing. All these companies are involved in Artificial Intelligence as well, whether it be automated vehicles that Apple and Amazon are on the verge of creating, those vehicles Tesla already creates, or products such as Google Home or Alexa. With these companies, it’s easy to think that people should invest in the futures of them, but the fact of the matter is that, truly, there are also other companies in other industries that could prove to be beneficial to working toward making strong, trustworthy investment decisions that will be worthwhile in the future.
While it may be easy to think that jumping on the bandwagon of investing in companies that are proven to be top-notch in the world today is the best method, it’s best to diversify a portfolio to achieve gains, especially when it comes to looking for stocks that are diamonds in the rough. For example, one of the industries that one should be looking out for is energy, or more specifically, batteries. Eversource, the energy company that provides electricity and gas across New England, has been killing it as of late, and it would be best to invest in the company around when a stock split emerges, which may be soon, as the price will soon jump to $100 per share. Some of the other industries that people should focus on are pharmaceuticals and marijuana corporations. Since marijuana companies are unable to cash their revenue into banks, their earnings don’t necessarily comply with the intended price that a share in the stock of the company should be. As a result, many of these companies are listed on the OTC pink market, which means one could potentially turn a few hundred dollars into substantial profits when the SAFE Banking Act is passed. The same goes with the new studies coming out about psychedelic mushrooms, as the drug has shown to provide significant help for patients with depression, which could potentially help startup companies revolving around the drug to take new heights too.
There are thousands of different companies with unremarkable potential in the stock market right now, and whether it is penny stocks or stocks listed on both NASDAQ and the DOW, it’s best to try and make an extra buck or two while in school. Who knows, maybe one of those stocks could skyrocket in the future, based on advancements within the company and innovative expertise among the employees there, which could inevitably help companies turn into powerhouses with untapped potential they haven’t yet unlocked.

Nick Collins, Sports Editor