54°

Students parade and party on St. Patrick’s Day

It was that time of the year to wear green and take over South Boston, famously known as the Southie for Saint Patrick’s Day. UMass Boston students and Boston residents celebrated the eagerly anticipated St. Patrick’s Day by attending the parade, eating good food and partying during the weekend. Aidan Phuong, a Biology major, said, “I use the day as a reminder that I am not Irish, but I have an Irish name. Does that make me eligible to celebrate?” Phuong further commented that he likes to spend the day eating unseasoned boiled vegetables and staying indoors.

In a recent report put together by WalletHub, Boston ranked first on the list of best cities to celebrate St. Patty’s Day, followed by Philadelphia and Chicago. The best part of the celebration was the Parade Sunday, March 19. The Parade started at 1 p.m. from Broadway T-station and marched toward East Broadway. It concluded at Andrew Square on Dorchester Avenue. The MBTA delay and crowded T were a real bummer apart from a little cloudy and windy weather on Sunday.

Attending St. Patty’s Day parade is a ritual for students attending universities in the Boston area. In Kaley Whipkey’s opinion, the Southie parade is one of the most fun events that puts Boston on top of the list of best cities to celebrate St. Patrick’s day. When asked how she celebrates the day, Whipkey said, “I love St. Patty’s day! I listen to Irish music and eat corned beef and cabbage.” Whipkey is a junior studying Criminology.

Boston has a long and revered history of lavishly celebrating St. Patrick’s day. It was first celebrated in 1737 to show support and solidarity for the new Irish Population who immigrated to Boston, and commemorates Evacuation Day. March 17 also marks the day when British troops left the city during the American Revolution. Boston is ranked as one of the major cities in America with a notable percentage of Irish Population, making it obvious to have a grand celebration in numerous ways. In 1901, the Parade was moved to South Boston because it was predominantly an Irish neighborhood.

Throughout the weekend, people flooded the bars and restaurants, indulging in various fun activities including drinking and partying. College students constitutea significant portion of people drinking heavily. Ahead of St. Patrick’s Day festivities, the Boston Police Department warned the residents of a possible drinking spike. WCVB5 News stated that the BPD received several reports and cases involving spiked drinks. Most of these cases were confirmed after drug tests.

“Police said drugs and substances can cause disorientation, confusion, temporary paralysis, or unconsciousness, along with a host of other symptoms, leaving the potential victim vulnerable to the intentions of the suspect,” wrote WCVB5 News. In addition, college campuses like UMass Amherst also experienced a dangerous drinking trend that led to the hospitalization of several students.

When asked about unusual drinking practices among college students, Whipkey commented, “lowkey St. Patty’s day is an excuse for some people to drink from sunup to sundown.” Colin Tusboi, a freshman studying International Relations, said, “I love St. Patrick’s day because I love lucky charms.”

“Mayor Michelle Wu and Boston Police Commissioner Michael Cox encourage Saint Patrick’s Day parade-goers to celebrate responsibly. Throughout the weekend, the Boston Police Department will increase patrols, focusing on the parade route, calls for service, and drinking establishments,” reported the Boston Globe.

Kaushar Barejiya, News Editor