64°

How much porn is too much: The effects of pleasure

Recently, while browsing online, I heard Bill Maher on his show, Real Time with Bill Maher say that we are the most pornified generation. It is a sentiment that has been expressed by many, particularly those who are concerned about how pornography is affecting society in generalyoung people, in particular. 

Its true that our generation has more access to porn than previous generations. Smartphones have made it easier for people to access and personalize their porn viewing experiences, which is in direct contrast to earlier times where porn was primarily consumed through magazines, videos and DVDs from adult stores. 

This personalized access has both positive and negative implications. While wider access has allowed people to explore their sexual interests and preferences, it has also led to concerns about addiction, desensitization and the potential impact of excessive porn consumption on mental health and relationships. 

The average age of first exposure to porn is around 11 to 12 years old, according to a few estimates [1], so, whether we wanted it or not, many of us have been exposed to porn at a young age. This has many consequences, and I think that the consequences are important for people—especially young people—to consider. I want to highlight a few such issues, in the hopes that readers might become more aware of the negative consequences of watching porn and recognize the signs of excessive pornography consumption. 

First, let’s talk about the normalization of porn. 

For many Millennials and Gen-Z, pornography is not exclusively considered a passive experience where the viewer is consuming pre-made and pre-determined content. Many engage in more active forms of porn, such as creating their own content on sites like OnlyFans, while interacting with others online. The level of activity or passivity can vary depending on the individual and the context. 

Many people are actively involved in porn without thinking about future consequences. It can be hard to delete data and images once uploaded online if you eventually wish to do so. For example, non-consensual sharing of explicit content found online fuels the growing menace of “revenge porn” [2]. There are also reports of students posting explicit content online on sites such as OnlyFans to fund their education and expenses, which raises ethical questions on whether this is empowerment or desperation [3]. 

Compulsion is also a major issue with pornography in general, but ease of access may be making this problem worse. 

The American Psychiatric Association does not classify compulsive pornography as a behavioral addiction, but there are concerns around porn influencing our daily routine. Habits are learned behaviors that are developed through repetition [4], and with such ease of access, porn can easily become a habit. Porn is a major stimulus to our brain, so our minds can form an attachment to porn due to the release of neurochemicals such as dopamine and oxytocin, giving the viewer a sense of pleasure, focus and craving [5].

When uncontrolled, porn habits can become compulsive, leading to disruption of daily routines or even missing out on important activities such as school, sports or social events. There is no research on the ideal number of hours to view porn. If you are experiencing a loss of interest in other activities, take necessary steps to recognize the problem and seek supportAn important step is to explore other interests including exercising, creative pursuits or socializing with friends. 

Daily disruptions of routine aren’t the only issues that stem from an uncontrolled porn habit. Similarly disruptive is the effect of “substitution. 

Watching porn is often associated with loneliness. Pornography consumption increased during the pandemic, possibly as a result of social isolation [6]Porn can be beneficial during loneliness because it stimulates the pleasure sensors in the brain and provides a sense of comfort. However, it can only be beneficial if we know its limits; porn cannot cure our lonelinessIt often creates a vicious cycle of dependence where the more you feel lonely, the more you watch and vice versa [7]. 

Recognizing our dependence on porn is an important first step in breaking the cycle of excessive pornography use. One should find healthy ways to cope with loneliness—this could include reaching out to a friend or family member, joining a social group such as various clubs within the university or engaging in activities that bring you true joy and fulfillment 

Also regarding psychological distress are issues that stem from the content of pornography itself. Psychiatrist Norman Doidge explains, “Pornography satisfies every one of the prerequisites for neuroplastic change. When pornographers boast that they are pushing the envelope by introducing new, harder themes, what they don’t say is that they must, because their customers are building up a tolerance to the content”[8]. This can cause harmful effects such as de-sensitization, distorted views of sexuality and tolerance of—and participation inviolence and abuse [9]. 

It’s true that “sex sells, and this has become the motto of many apps where young minds interact. With the proliferation of apps such as OnlyFans, porn has become more and more difficult to cut down on. Other apps such as TikTok may have become gateways to porn as well, as explicit content creators advertise on the[10]Sex is visibly encouraged by social media algorithms, leading us to echo chambers of sexualized content. 

Porn should be simple and non-addictive. There are many more emotionally, artistically and intellectually stimulating activities to consider in our free timeWhen consumed in moderation, pornography can serve as a source of pleasure and sexual expression, as well as provide education and information about sexual health. If you find yourself substituting it with other activities, frequently watching extreme pornography, depending on it as a cure for loneliness or spending recklessly on it, then your porn habit may have become out of control and harmful. 

One can take proactive steps to avoid a harmful porn habit, such as setting limits on their screen time or deleting saved files or bookmarks. If there are any triggerssuch as Not Safe For Work subreddits or explicit content on Twitter and TikToktry avoiding them, finding alternative hobbies and activities, seeking support from friends and family and seeking professional help, if needed. It’s important for students to prioritize their well-being and to focus on healthy behaviors that can help them thrive both academically and personally. 

[1] Average age of first exposure to porn-  

[2] Revenge porn- 

[3] Students using OnlyFans 

[4] Habits are developed through repetition- 

[5] Porn and dopamine- 

[6] Porn consumption and pandemic- 

[7] Pornography and lonliness- 

[8] Norman Doidge- 

[9] Effects of extreme porn- 

[10] Tiktok as gateway to porn- 

Charan Reddy, Opinions Writer