Taylor Swift rocks the stage at The Eras Tour

A Student listens to Taylor Swift in preparation for The Eras Tour. Photo by Saichand Chowdary (He/Him) / Mass Media Contributor.

Rena Weafer, Arts Editor

**This article contains spoilers for “Taylor Swift┃The Eras Tour.”**

From her record-breaking album, “Midnights,” to her Ticketmaster-breaking ticket sales, Taylor Swift killed the game this past year. To top that, her tour started Friday, March 17 in Swift City, Arizona.

Glendale changed its name to Swift City for this special occasion and the two days that she was there. They said they were “so enchanted to meet Taylor Swift as she kick[ed] off ‘The Eras Tour’ at State Farm Stadium” on the city’s website (1).

Fans were preparing for this tour since its announcement Nov. 1, 2022. They plastered social media feeds with videos of tour outfit inspiration and tips for new fans about the concert itself, so it was not surprising when Swift’s concert took over the platforms once again on opening night.

“I’ve been living vicariously through the TikToks,” said UMass Boston student Kathleen Dugar-Potter. During the concert itself, fans at home can watch livestream after livestream from the hundreds of fans in attendance on any live streaming platform.

This is Swift’s first tour since her 2018 Reputation Stadium Tour. She never performed the “Lover” album, as Loverfest was canceled due to the pandemic. She released four new albums since she last took the stage, including, “folklore,” “evermore” and “Midnights.” She highlighted these four albums in her 44-song set, playing five to seven songs from each.

Considering Swift has a total of 10 albums ranging from 53 minutes to two hours and 10 minutes in length, fans wondered how exactly this tour would work. To cover every era would call for an extremely long show—and that is exactly what she did.

Swift’s performance lasts three hours and 10 minutes, with each era having a dedicated costume change and dance routine. At one point, she even dives into a pool on stage.

The show starts with a performance by two openers, one set lasting 20 minutes and the other lasting 40. Swift enlisted eight performers to open for her, from older acts like Paramore, to newer voices like GAYLE and Gracie Abrams, to fan-favorites like Phoebe Bridgers and HAIM. MUNA, OWENN, beabadoobee and girl in red will also be featured.

After the openers in Glendale, Swift took the stage studded in a bejeweled leotard singing the opening to “Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince.” This song, off her “Lover” album, holds a special place in the hearts of many fans, but was a surprising choice considering it’s not one of the most popular off the album. After this, she transitioned into some other favorites from the 2019 album including “Cruel Summer” and the album’s title track, “Lover.”

From there, the pink aura turned golden with the entrance of “Fearless” off the 2006 album of the same name. Following the song were cult classics; she busted into “Love Story” and “You Belong With Me” on her white rhinestone guitar because you can’t have “Fearless” without those two hits.

She changed from her gold, sparkly dress to a maxi dress in a deeper yellow hue as she took on her next era, “evermore.” Swift played these next songs on a moss-covered piano center stage with woods projected in the background. This era began with “tis’ the damn season,” followed by other songs from the album like “champagne problems” and “tolerate it.”

Swift backed into the stage and everything went black as the “reputation” era began. She emerged from the snake-covered background in a black-sequin one piece adorned with red-sequin snakes to the bass of “Ready For It?” Amid the red smoke and flashing white lights, “Don’t Blame Me,” “Look What You Made Me Do,” and “Delicate” echoed through the stadium.

Rising from her “reputation” grave, she wore a princess-like dress for “Enchanted,” which, to the disappointment of many fans, was the only song played from “Speak Now.” She switched from the dress to a t-shirt reading “a lot going on at the moment,” a play on her iconic “not a lot going on at the moment” line from her “Red” era. She played some 2012 classics from the original “Red” album, but finished with the 2022, “All Too Well: Ten Minute Version” from “Red (Taylor’s Version).”

Then the moss returned, this time in the form of a moss-covered house, for “folklore.” Swift floated across the stage in a flowing lilac gown and acoustic guitar in hand. Here she performed seven songs from the 17-song album, including “invisible string,” “betty,” and “my tears ricochet.”

Sticking to the purple theme, she entered the “1989” era with a sequined crop top and matching skirt, strutting the stage to “Style.” Swift also brought out a multi-level platform for a dance during “Wildest Dreams.”

Next, she announced that every show would have two surprise songs. For the first night in Glendale, this was “mirrorball” from “folklore” and “Tim McGraw” from “Taylor Swift.” The second night in Glendale brought “this is me trying” and “State of Grace.” On night one of the Las Vegas show this past weekend, Swift played “Our Song” from “Taylor Swift and “Snow on the Beach” from “Midnights.” The second night she played “cowboy like me” with surprise guest Max Mumford and “White Horse” from “Fearless.”

Following the acoustic songs was her latest project and tenth studio album, “Midnights.” Swift opened this era in a purple faux-fur coat and silver-sequin dress surrounded by purple clouds for “Lavender Haze.” She switched into a deep indigo one-piece for “Vigilante Sh*t” and closed the show with “Karma.”

While this tour just began, it will make Swift the top grossing female touring artist of all time (2). As seen across social media, her fans are loving every second of it.

Sources:

1. https://www.glendaleaz.com/play/swiftcity

1. https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2022/12/20/taylor-swift-could-earn-620-million-on-eras-tour-while-ticketmaster-makes-a-pittance/?sh=40b33c517fe1

3. https://fridaywereinlove.com/taylor-swift-eras-tour/