66°

Police Blotter 2/23/2015-3/7/2015

2/23/2015

6:31 p.m. Public Safety officers responded to Wheatley Hall after an alarm went off in the Continuing Education main office and a nearby bathroom.

7:48 p.m. Public Safety went to the Bayside Parking Lot after someone called in to report that there were lights on inside the Bayside Building. After checking the building, officers found that staff from Parking and Transportation were in the building.

7:52 p.m. Public Safety officers had to use a fire extinguisher outside the Quinn Administration Building after a cigarette butt receptacle started smoking.

2/24/2015

11:42 a.m. A male party came to the Public Safety office after his girlfriend had come to UMass Boston and started threatening to make a scene and had stolen his car. The male party had yet to go to any of his classes and told officers that he would contact them later.

12:21 p.m. A male party came to the Public Safety office to report that his wallet had been stolen from the Campus Center Cafe around 10 am.

12:47 p.m. Public Safety took a report after an NStar truck had accidentally hit a car in the Bayside Parking Lot. NStar personnel left a note on the vehicle.

2:01 p.m. Public Safety officers called in that a person they had been on the lookout for had been stopped on University Drive North. Officers moved the vehicle to the Beacons Lot and took the keys from the driver. Officers turned the keys over to dispatch.

2:33 p.m. Officers received two calls about a male party outside McCormack Hall. The male was described as being white and wearing a pumpkin-colored sweater, Timberland boots, and a yellow hat. The callers reported that the male had taken marijuana out of his pocket and started rolling a joint. When officers arrived the male had left. After clearing the scene, officers ran into the described male near the coffee shop.

2/25/2015

12:58 p.m. Officers responded to Wheatley Hall after a party called to report that they smelled the odor of marijuana being smoked in the rear stairwell near Snowden Auditorium. Upon arrival officers smelled a strong odor, but no one was in the area.

4:06 p.m. Officers assisted parties with a insurance paper exchange after there was a minor motor vehicle accident on University Drive North. Papers were exchanged and both vehicles had minor scratches.

2/26/2015

10:53 a.m. Officers spoke officers to a male party who was carrying a wrapped musket. After speaking to the male party officers found that it was a prop for a class that the male teaches. The musket does not function and the male party needed a license to purchase it.

11:27 a.m. Officers went to the Science Center after a member of Customer Service reported that there was a burning smell in the Nursing Department. Public Safety called Facilites to let them know. Officers talked to two parties who reported that they had smelled it when they came in, but that the smell had since diminished.

4:32 p.m. Officers searched the Integrated Science Center for a fire alarm test. All floors cleared.

4:53 p.m. Officers called in that a female party had flagged them down on Mount Vernon Street to request help with a child with psychiatric problems who was running in the street. Boston Police Department and EMS personnel were notified.

5:55 p.m. A UMass Boston professor came to the Public Safety office to report that she had received a letter that was in a Carney Hospital envelope and the letter inside was unreadable. She told the dispatcher that she would like to talk to one of the detectives. She told the dispatcher that she had no problems with any student. The dispatcher told the professor that one of the detectives would contact her the next day.

2/27/2015

3:45 a.m. Public Safety officers were flagged down by Longwood Security at the Peninsula Apartment complex reporting that they had heard what they believed to be 15 gunshots about 20 minutes before. Officers notified the Massachusetts State Police and canvassed the McCormack Middle School area. Officers spoke with some contractors had been removing snow behind the school and determined that the security personnel may have mistaken the sounds of their equipment for gunshots. Officers continued searching the area but nothing was showing.   

1:31 p.m. A female party called Public Safety to report that her bumper had received damage while the vehicle was parked in the Beacons Lot.

3/3/2015

10:13 a.m. A party came to the Public Safety office to speak with an officer about a hit and run.

11:48 a.m. A party called Public Safety to report that there was a suspicious male party standing by a vehicle in the Upper Level Campus Center Parking Garage. Upon arrival officers discovered that there was no suspicious person and instead were two parties who wanted the same parking space and one party wanted a police officer. The responding officers restored order and advised the party against calling in false information.

1:44 p.m. A female party came to the Public Safety office because she believed that she had been scammed. The party reported that she had bought $22 paintball tickets and that it was charged as scarcab.org

1:52 p.m. A male party came to the Public Safety office to file a report against another student who would not leave the party alone. The male party reported that he had asked the other party three times to leave him alone but that the other party was still following him around.

3/4/2015

9:50 a.m. A party phoned that there was an odor coming from McCormack Hall. Officers found that the odor was coming from the welders working in the building.

11:33 a.m. A party called Public Safety to report that they had found a party that Public Safety had been looking for in the 2nd floor of McCormack Hall. The party was described as a male with brown hair who was wearing a green T-shirt.

4:25 p.m. Massachusetts State Police called Boston Police Department and Public Safety over the radio to report that there was a car accident near the JFK/UMass MBTA station. 2 units arrived to help direct traffic away from Morrissey Boulevard Morrissey Boulevard was later reopened.

3/5/2015

6:12 a.m. A member of the physics department called Public Safety to report that he heard a cellphone ringing in the ceiling of a third floor men’s bathroom in McCormack Hall. The staff member got a ladder and went to check where the ringing was coming from. The staff member found that there was a face mask and some plastic bottles and decided to call Public Safety. Officers took a report.

10:58 am Officers called Boston Police Department over the radio after there was a car accident near the Bayside Parking Lot. Boston Police arrived and the vehicles were towed away. No report was needed.

1:20 pm Officers interviewed a male party at the JFK/UMass MBTA station who reported that there was a party following him. Officers took down a description and waited to see if the suspect would show up. The suspect never showed.

3/6/2015

2:46 am Public Safety called Boston Police Department after they had run a license plate in the Corcoran Jennison Lot on Mount Vernon Street and the vehicle had come back as stolen. Boston Police arrived on scene and handled the report.

7:56 am A female party called Public Safety to report there was  a dog left in the back seat of a car with the windows left open a crack. Officers arrived on scene and attempted to reach the car’s owner but owner’s voicemail was not set up.

7:31 pm A Public Safety cadet radioed in that there was a male party pacing back and forth in a stairwell in Wheatley Hall. The cadet asked if the male party was OK and the party stated that he was thinking.

3/7/2015

3:34 pm A party called Public Safety to report that they had dropped a bottle of olive oil on the catwalk in Wheatley Hall. Cleaners were notified.

6:40 pm Officers assisted parties to exchange insurance information on Morrissey Boulevard after they had a minor motor vehicle accident.

7:16 pm Officers called the Massachusetts State Police after they found a disabled motor vehicle on the bridge on Morrissey Boulevard inbound. Officers stood by until state police arrived. Public Safety cleared the scene.

9:56 pm Public Safety called Facilities after it was discovered that a toll booth at the Bayside Parking Lot had been kicked in and there was evidence of a forced entry to the window. Officers found that there was clothing and blankets inside and it appeared that there was someone living inside. Facilities was asked to come over and board up the window and door.