66°

Beacon Update 4/4/2015

Baseball
7-6 (1-1 LEC)
The Beacons have been battling some tough weather since coming back from Florida, and have only managed to play two games since returning. Both of those games were against the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on March 30 as part of a doubleheader at Salem State University. In game one, they beat the Corsairs, 8-4. Third baseman Daniel Mantoni had a busy day, going 4-6 with two doubles, a stolen base, and four RBIs, but starting pitcher Kyle Szatrowski was the story of the day. He scattered nine hits over eight innings pitched with two earned runs. Szatrowski, who threw 129 pitches, struck out seven Corsairs on the way to his second win of the season. The Corsairs were a defensive wreck in the first game as well, with four errors and 14 hits allowed.
The Corsairs would commit four more errors in the second game, but they found more success, walking off with a 12-11 win in ten innings. The Beacons led by five with three innings to go and recorded 15 hits, but couldn’t shut the door when it counted. They led 11-8 in the bottom of the ninth but the Corsairs came back to tie it up before Taylor Cacciola drove in the wining run. It was a frigid day for baseball and the Beacons couldn’t have asked for a much better result over their two contests. It’s clear that the offense is clicking right now. Mantoni is having a monster season, batting .411 with 19 RBIs and 10 runs. Luke Nagle is supplying the power, with a .378 average, three home runs, and ten RBIs. Mantoni is also pitching this year for the Beacons, and has performed well, allowing seven earned runs over 20.2 innings pitched, good enough for a 3.05 ERA. Szatrowski has a fine ERA as well, at 2.84.
Lacrosse
4-5 (0-1 LEC)
The Beacons have been soldiering on in some nasty weather as they break into their conference schedule. They haven’t been dominant over this last stretch but every game has been competitive. They visited Mount Ida College in Newton on March 25 and escaped with a hard fought, 12-8 victory. Noah Ellis led the Beacons with five goals and Craig Frehill stopped eight shots in the big win. They played through the snow at Boston College High School on March 28 in their conference opener against Salem State University, but ended up losing a tight one, 16-13. Ellis once again led the Beacons, this time with four goals. Ryan McGoff added two goals of his own, but the Beacons were doomed by the Vikings’ huge second quarter, in which they were outscored 6-1. Following a few days off, the Beacons were back to work on April 1, when they traveled to Norton to take on Wheaton College. Nick Tangherlini scored twice for the Beacons, and Craig Frehill turned in an impressive 14 saves, but the Beacons were defeated, 13-6. Wheaton took a ridiculous 55 shots and scored five goals in each of the first two quarters, The Beacons fought back with four goals in the third quarter, but they came up short.
Ellis is leading the Beacons with 22 goals this year, and he’s added seven assists for good measure. McGoff is second on the team with 16 goals. Freehill and AJ Collette have evenly split time in net and have a combined 10.15 goals against average and 54.9 save percentage.