66°

Mass Action Against Police Brutality Rally

Protest organizer Broc Satter encourages protesters to join the upcoming marches.

In support of the Baltimore protests after the death of Freddie Gray, Boston had its own peaceful rally Wednesday, April 29. Thousands came together, started at the Boston police headquarters, and ended by Dudley Square in Roxbury.
“Students of history, would I be standing here if people didn’t stand up in the past, saying, ‘Hey, this isn’t right, America shouldn’t be like that, it should be equal for everyone’? So I stand before you in the capacity of the first African American police chief of Boston,” said William Gross, Boston police chief, sharing his thoughts on the protest. “I understand and appreciate exercising your first amendment right if you want change; just do so peacefully and respectfully, and then we can listen to that message, listen to that concern, and together we can have a dialogue and discuss it.”
April 19, a young African American man died in the custody of Baltimore police. Gray was arrested and put into a police van; being in handcuffs as well as feet restraints, Gray was not properly secured in the van, and after a rough ride to the police station Gray died of a broken spine.
“We can’t rely on the government to do the right thing,” said Broc Scatter, the organizer of the Boston protest. “The government doesn’t change, it doesn’t stop to do the right thing.”
The Boston police was in unity with the protesters. As the journey went on, police officers followed along and shut down streets in order for the protesters to go by.
This rally was not just in support of the Baltimore protesters, but also to send the message that justice must be served in this case.
Boston protesters stand in solidarity with Baltimore in hopes that justice will be served. That a change will be made in America. That these rallies will be the precedent for the future.