66°

Semester Make-up Days

Giant banks piled high in UMass Boston when successive snow storms hit the Boston area in late-January and throughout February. 

starting in late-January, and hitting throughout February.

The University of Massachusetts Boston is offering two make-up days for classes, to be assigned at the discretion of individual teachers, following cancellations brought on by consecutive snowstorms in the beginning of the 2015 spring semester.
In a memorandum sent to students on April 24, the provost indicated that Thursday, May 14, will serve as the make-up day for classes ordinarily taking place on Tuesdays. Friday, May 15, will serve as the make-day for classes ordinarily taking place on Mondays. Class times are as usual, and the Healey Library will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Students are asked to make arrangements with their respective professors if they cannot be present. The provost asks teachers to give those who find it difficult to attend leeway, such as offering alternate means of meeting the course objectives.
The study period for exams will occur Friday, May 15, through Sunday, May 17, and the exam period will remain as Monday, May 18, through Friday, May 22. Student eligibility for graduation will not be affected by the additional day added to the academic calendar. The 2015 Commencement remains scheduled for May 29. 
According to the National Weather Service, over 104 inches of snow hit Boston throughout late January and early February. This snowy onslaught lead to cancellation of classes on three Mondays, three Tuesdays, and one Wednesday, with delays on others. Additionally, campus closed on March 30 for the dedication of the newly built Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate, which featured an appearance by President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and other U.S. government officials.