63°

Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund to distribute $ 45,000

APIASF (pic)
APIASF (pic)

The Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Funds (APIAS) will distribute $45,000 in scholarship to 12 full-time UMass Boston students on March 4, 2015.
 The recognition ceremony on March will mark the second time that University of Massachusetts Boston was eligible to distribute the APIAS scholarship through the Asian American Student Success Program (AASSP).
AASSP is an academic program that provides tutoring and mentoring to students.

March 4th 2015 The Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship funds (APIAS) will be rewarding 12 full-time students with an scholarship. This is the second year that Umass was eligible to give this scholarship way. The APIAS Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander- scholarship program partner with UMass and 14 other institutions to accelerate the success of some of the highest concentrations that underserved Asian American Pacific Islander students.

The Asian American Student success program is able to participate in this scholarship program because Umass ( The only qualified institution in New England) was designated by the U.S. Department of Education as an institution that has an undergraduate student body of at least 10% that identify with being Asian American Native American Pacific Islander. The five- year Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) funding is to help participating universities strength retention and persistence services, bolster recruitment programs, and expand staff and resources that will help current underserved students.

“The first year that we did {APIAS} they were all one semester awards and this year we have expanded, so we are giving two awards this semester” Sara Boxell, Asian American Student Success Program Assistant “You have to be a full-time degree seeking student as well as a student that has applied for Financial through FAFSA”

The Asian American Student Success Program (AASSP) is an academic support office that helps students. They work with students to make them aware of resources and services such as the APIAS. They provide tutoring, and connects you with a peer mentor that will help you with the ins and outs of college. As well as events and support services that will help students get through college as well as making connection with the historical and current stories from Asian American communities.

If students are interested in applying for AANAPISI scholarship feel free to visit the Asian American Student Success Program in the McCormick hall 3rd floor room 703 (Ryan Lounge) or directly want to apply for the scholarship visit AANAPISISCHOLARSHIP.APIASF.ORG