57°

Second Annual Hearth Shares

As Thanksgiving comes to a close and the holiday season lurking around the corner, Boston diners once again are giving back to their community through a program called Hearth Shares. This program will run for one month, from November 20th to December 25th
Hearth Shares is a program that offers restaurant-goers the opportunity to easily add a voluntary donation of one dollar (or more) to their bill. They aim to provide comfort and hope to people suffering from homelessness.
This year will be their second year with the program. Since inception, the program has raised $80,000 to provide support for the Boston-area homeless community. This program has gained support by Citizens Bank and Friends of Boston’s Homeless.  Both Hearth Shares and Friends of Boston’s Homeless are non-profit organizations that aim to eliminate homelessness among the elderly in Boston’s community, helping them get their life back on track through services and affordable housing.  
Many great chefs all over the Greater Boston Area have signed on to participate in this program in supporting Hearth Shares at their restaurants. The chefs are following in the footsteps of Gordon Ramsay of the popular TV show “Hell’s Kitchen,” and Angela Hartnett, protégée of Ramsay’s who supports the London-based counterpart, StreetSmarts, in their restaurants.
About 50 different diners and restaurants are participating in this generous program. These diners and restaurants are located all over the Greater Boston Area. For a list of restaurants and diners participating in this program, visit their websites at HearthShares.org.