66°

Boston College Fashion Week 2015

CFW
CFW

As many surely know, it’s Fashion Week season, meaning New York City, London, Milan, and Paris have got the runways going strong and top designers giving it their all. Boston, however, has also got a budding Fashion Week scene, and a section of it is specially geared towards college students.
Her Campus, an international community designed for college-aged bloggers and journalists writing about topics such as Style, Beauty, and Health, hosted its annual Boston College Fashion Week this past Saturday, October 3. Since Her Campus was founded in Boston, it was only natural that the event would kick off in the Boston area before the crew moves on to do shows in NYC and other locations.
The event featured college-aged musical performers as well as untrained runway models selected from local college campuses. Before the show truly began, guests received goody bags featuring products from hosting companies including Simon Malls, Milani Cosmetics, European Wax Center, Shake Shack, Monthly Gift, and more.
Next, as guests continued into the Revere Hotel, which hosted the event, they were greeted by an option to have photos professionally taken and participate in a brief interview with Monthly Gift. The organization produces a subscription box that helps girls keep track of their periods and delivers goodies for that time of month. They provided fun dress-up supplies for the photos, like emoji sticks and feather boas.
Guests also had the option to have their eyebrows waxed and filled for free at an eyebrow bar run by European Wax Bar. The hosts of the show proclaimed that eyebrows are the fashion statement of the year and wanted to help ladies reach “browfection.”
There was also a Jamberry DIY Nail Art Bar, where fashion week attendees could add a little spice to their nails with nail wraps. Both beautifying stations were packed throughout the night, and guests were delighted to get glammed up by professionals as they snacked on free samples from the Shake Shack Custard bar.
When the runway show officially began, college-aged performers opened for the models that would soon be walking amongst the crowds donning upcoming trends. The opening act was Boston University men’s a capella group, the Dear Abbeys, performing hits by artists like Beyonce without any instrumental supplication. Then, 18-year-old singer Teenear energized the crowd with performances of her original songs, simultaneously doing some hardcore dancing with her talented backup dancers.
The runway show itself was an endearing experience, featuring young women of all sizes and ethnicities as a way of promoting body positivity. Although they were untrained, many of the models were fun to watch, often adding their own twists to their walks. The show was conducted in four sets of styles to represent what’s trending in women’s fall and winter fashion: soft-feminine, 70’s, menswear-inspired, and 90’s modern grunge.
Since Simon Malls hosted the event, all of the outfits are easy to recreate by shopping at Lord & Taylor. Her Campus also hosts two VIP shopping nights to promote the event. The first shopping night, October 2, was primarily for press and models as a generous treat. Select stores such as Lucky Brand and Express offered incredible discounts, and all had trays of cupcakes and cups of mocktails waiting for the VIP shoppers.
The next VIP event, apparently open to even more guests, will happen on Wednesday, October 7 at the Copley Mall. Although the featured stores are largely a surprise, VIP attendees can bring guests and will experience the same delicious treatment of endless cupcakes and drinks.
The entire event was an excellent way to not only have some free fashion-related fun, but to connect with many other local college girls eager to network. Becoming a model or a guest simply took filling out a brief online form, and was well worth it for a chance to dress up and be treated like a beauty queen.