66°

Fenway on the Harbor a Win for UMB

The University of Massachusetts Boston has been pretty successful athletically for a while now, especially in hockey and baseball. Just last season, the Beacons baseball team finished with a winning record of 23-15, and the Beacons hockey team finished with a record of 22-4-1. However, the difference between the excitement of the teams on campus is that Beacons hockey does have a game rink, while the baseball team has been playing their home games in Brockton, making it difficult for them to draw support from campus. However, that is about to change in a big way this upcoming season.
Expected to be completed this November is the Beacons new home, Monan Park, an exact replica of Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox. This has created a lot of buzz and excitement around our school’s ball club for the upcoming season. I know that I personally wouldn’t miss the home opener at our own personal Fenway Park. Even more so than just the excitement on campus, there are more added advantages to Monan Park.
Part of UMass Boston’s overhaul of construction and upgrades around campus, Monan Park allows our campus community to get more involved on campus and attend games into the future or maybe even try out now that they don’t have to travel all the way to Brockton. Adding a baseball park to our campus only makes our school seem that much more together. Sports can be a great thing to unify a community whether it’s your school, city, or country. Having a ballpark on campus only adds one more place for us as a student community to get together and feel part of the bigger picture, unified as UMB Beacons; plus, how cool will it be to have our own personal Fenway Park? Go Beacons!