66°

Women of Color Elected to Office in Massachusetts

On Tuesday September 29, women of color were recognized for getting involved in politics. These were simply women who were involved in their child’s school or just involved in their own community, who gain the support of their peers to run for office and to take a seat in office. The University of Massachusetts Boston Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy played a part in helping put together and publishing Profiles in Leadership: Women of Color Elected to Office in Massachusetts. Women of color only make up two percent of the state legislature, five percent in the senate, and one percent in the House of Representatives. This publication marks the second collaboration for the Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy celebrating its 20th Women’s Pipeline for Change also celebrating seven years on the scene.
“This is what [her] story in the making looks like. I would like to thank the women in the guide for being trailblazers”, said Ann Bookman Director “We value it deeply and hope it will continue for years”.
This guide has two themes one being a narrative of exclusion and join under representation, and the second narrative of accomplishment dedicated to public service and personal sacrifice. All the women featured in this guide fought against all of the odds against them. They had the courage to walk up to people and crowds and get them to donate to their campaign. With that encouragement and the community support those women ran for office and took a seat.
“My main message is to teach and encourage others.” The first Asian American women to have a seat in council in Plainfield, Keiko Orrall said “Kick the door open and hold it open for someone else”.
In the audience were so many women of all colors and races that are part of the government in one or form another. As well as young women who aspire to one day run and win a place in office. All throughtout the event women were passing on encouragement to one another, pushing those young minds to keep their goals of becoming the next council woman as well as telling the young women real life obstacles that they had to overcome. The Profiles in Leadership: Women of Color Elected to Office in Massachusetts book is not soley for women of color but for everyone, to push them to get involved in the government and speak up for the people who do not have a voice.