66°

Jon Stewart Passes the Comedy Crown to Capable Hands

Stephen Colbert takes over Jon Stewarts kingdom.

Stephen Colbert takes over Jon Stewart’s kingdom.

Step aside, Jon Stewart, there’s a new king of political comedy. As Stewart’s reign came to a close with his final episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart airing on August 6, 2015, Stephen Colbert, actor, producer, author and former host of The Colbert Report, began a new regime. Though equally entertaining and informative, Colbert brings a new twist to the show, and I’ll give you a hint: it’s not just a new name. Along with a new host, new stories, and a new band, the producers and writers of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert also have a few creative tricks up their sleeves to continue entertaining the masses.
The near 10-month gap between the ending of The Colbert Report and the commencement of The Late Show proved to be no hindrance at all for the comedian. Being absolutely no stranger to the spotlight, even with his recent absence from television screens across America, Colbert’s first week on air ran seamlessly. Since its first episode on September 8, Colbert has brought all sorts of entertainment to the set. He’s invited guests ranging from some of the brightest Hollywood stars like George Clooney and Scarlett Johansson, to presidential candidates like Jeb Bush, and all the celebrities in between like Stephen King, Kendrick Lamar, Toby Keith, and more.
As usual, the conversations held between Colbert and whoever his victim might be are stimulating, witty, and incredibly politically (in)correct. He still makes jokes at the expense of celebrities and politicians (lmostly about Donald Trump’s hair, lately) as it has always been his go-to style of humor. Along with guest appearances, Colbert has added moments of pure sarcastic hilarity via what he calls the “Unseen Mystery of the Hidden Secrets” which have included such antics as U.S. Open champion Novak Djokovic firing tennis balls at the gracious host who cowered behind a Capitan America shield, and much more, topping it all off with some groovy background music performed by house band Jon Baptiste and Stay Human.
Paving a new way for entertainment and the way news is reported, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is fresh, new and exciting and leaves us wanting more with the end of each episode.