66°

Sen. John McCain: Trump is wrong on immigration

Arizona Republican Senator John McCain took a swipe at the Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump for his view on immigration during the 21 first Annual Walter Judd Freedom Award, at the Mayflower hotel in Washington, D.C,  on Jul. 8.
“Without our Hispanic neighbors, my home state Arizona would lose their culture, their way of life in so many ways,” said McCain. “The presence of Hispanic enriches our lives and our cities.”
He continued to say that he is mindful and grateful to immigrants’ contribution in the advancement of the U.S economy. “Their presence is the reason why [United States] is the greatest nation on earth.
Sen. McCain was receiving  being the 2015 Walter Judd Freedom Award for his lifetime of service to advancing the cause of freedom by the Fund for American Studies (TFAS). “Sen. McCain’s leadership on the international stage in promoting human rights and supporting freedom around the globe makes him a worthy recipient of this award. His willingness to speak and act against oppression exemplifies the spirit, life and work of the award’s namesake, Dr. Walter Judd,” said Vice Chairman of TFAS Mike Thompson, in a press release.
The Judd award recognizes individuals who have devoted their lives to the preservation and expansion of freedom and been outspoken voices against tyranny and oppression in the world and national affairs. These are the values of Dr. Walter Judd, a former U.S. congressman, and missionary, whose courage, spirit and oratory inspired thousands of people worldwide throughout his seven decades in public life.
Former Undersecretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs, Paula Dobriansky, who presented the award, noted that Sen. McCain is a well-deserved recipient of Judd Award. “Sen. McCain is a man of principle. He is outspoken. He is true to his beliefs. And he stands up for what is right,” Dobriansky said.
Sen. McCain is described as a patriot who has spent his lifetime serving his country, both in the U.S Navy, where he served for 22-years as a Naval aviator– and representing the people of Arizona in the U.S. congress. McCain was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1982. After two terms in the House, he was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1986. Sen. McCain was the Republican Party’s nominee for president of the United States in 2008. He is  currently serving as chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and serves on the Senate’s committees on Foreign Relations, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Indian Affairs.