66°

‘Boyhood’ and lack of diversity surrounds the upcoming Academy Awards

‘Boyhood’ is nominated for Best Picture, watch it in select theaters now

The Oscars have always been an eventful night. Celebrities and stars are everywhere, highlighting their performances, outfits, and most importantly, recognition for the work put into this year’s movies. It will be the show’s 87th year, and will carry on the tradition with host Neil Patrick Harris.
One issue with this year’s Oscars is the lack of diversity. Out of the top 4 acting categories (Best Actor/Actress, Best Supporting Actor/Actress), none are people of color. Although the film “Selma” was nominated for a best picture, it is the only film starring a nonwhite actor. This obviously comes at a time when race is a big issue to be addressed. It is not to say that the other actors and films don’t deserve nominations, but there is a clear bias in what was chosen.
The most prestigious award of the night, Best Picture, is jam-packed with films that deserve the title. The nominees are “American Sniper”, “Birdman or ( The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance),” “Boyhood,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “The Imitation Game,” “Selma,” “The Theory of Everything,” and “Whiplash.” It’s pretty clear this year is going to be a tight race between the films. I have seen half of them, and from what I can tell about the ones I haven’t seen, they’re all really good.
Though one movie stands apart from the rest and that’s “Boyhood.” “Boyhood,” directed by Richard Linklater, is about the life of a child from age 5 to 18. What’s amazing about this movie is that the child is actually growing up on screen. It took 12 years to film it! The Oscars are about amazing feats in the world of film, and if this isn’t one, then I don’t know what is. I have yet to see “Boyhood,” but based off of that alone, it is definitely a top contender for Best Picture. My top choice (from the films I have seen) would be “Birdman” Everything about this film appeals to me — the actors, the scenery, the film style, and even the title. It’s a great film, and I highly recommend seeing it.
With the top categories revolving around actors/actresses and directors, it’s easy to ignore the lesser categories, but those are probably the most important ones. Categories like Best Sound Editing or Best Visual Effects usually go unnoticed by the average viewer, though the films they helped create wouldn’t be anywhere without them. So if you’re going to watch the Oscars this February, don’t skip over the boring categories because they all deserve their second in the limelight.
Watch the 87th Academy Awards February 22 starting at 7 p.m.