66°

A Fine Selection of Musical Arrangements For Finals

Everyone prepares for finals differently — some need to relax and some need to pump up.

However it’s done, students on every campus need motivation to do work. One of the best ways to combat the hindrances of studying is to listen to music. This can aid in many ways: to drown out other distractions, to stay focused, or to just de-stress. Making study playlists can help with time management as well as structure. Not taking a break until the playlist is over is one way structure can help with studying, as well as incorporating physical activity to refresh and renew.

The Mass Media has compiled a playlist of songs that will surely initiate the process of studying for finals. This playlist will explain the range of feelings one has while suffering through this ordeal.

1) “Escape” by Rupert Holmes – This is the Pina Colada song, an off-beat little romance ballad to cozy up with notebooks and textbooks when in reality, all you want to do is “escape.”

2) “We Used to Be Friends” by The Dandy Warhols – This song is exactly the kind of song one would hear during a montage scene in a movie. It makes hours of work seem like a matter of minutes. Isn’t that how we all want time to pass when studying for finals?

3) “Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots – The title of the song says it all.

4) “Same Ol’” by The Heavy  - “It’s the same ol’ grind…” Studying for finals is unavoidable, but it doesn’t mean excessive amounts of reading or writing can’t be enjoyable. Take pleasure in some music while work gets done.

5) “Can You Hear Me Now” by Jetta – Snapping along to the beat is encouraged for this song. Fine-tuning motor skills is also inevitable after being cooped up in a room studying and writing papers.

6) “Her Words Destroyed My Planet” by Motion City Soundtrack – There’s a kazoo in this song. It’s the musical instrument no one knew they liked this much. It gives the song a campy feel, but paired with the artist’s alternative rock sound, it all balances out and makes for a smooth listen.

7) “Whipped Cream” by Ludo – It’s a song about the staple brain-food groups: whipped cream. The lyrics and beat are both fun, which is completely void when studying for finals.

8) “Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya” by the Dropkick Murphys – For its wise use of banjo alone, this song qualifies itself for this list. It’s upbeat tune encourages productivity and promotes focus going into the later hours of studying.

9) “That Black Bat Licorice” by Jack White – Because what you really need is a song that references Nietzsche, Freud, and Horace while you’re studying their theories. Or check out White’s “Freedom at 21” when nothing but theorists have consumed your mind.

10) “I’m So Sorry” by Imagine Dragons – You won’t be sorry if you study for your finals!

11) “Blood Hands” or “Out of the Black” by Royal Blood – Either one of these songs would work in any playlist. But really, check out both songs. Or just the whole album. Yeah, check out the whole album.

12) “Supremacy” by Muse – This song has a bit of a Bond vibe to it, which calls for a pun. The name’s Bond, Covalent Bond (Shoutout to everyone studying for biology or chemistry).

13) “Panic Station” by Muse – Don’t panic about finals! They will be over before they even began. Focus, even if it seems impossible. Even the lead singer sings so beautifully, “Get up and commit/Show the power trapped within.”

14) “The Handler” by Muse – The lyrics “Leave me alone” seem to be speaking to the outside world, full of distractions. Looking at you, Netflix.

15) “Castle” by Halsey – “Sick of all this noise” in the library, yet? Turn to this catchy Halsey song to tune everything out while you work.

16) “Kings Never Die” by Eminem – Eminem can make anything rhyme–  this fact alone should conjure inspiration to get through writing papers.

17) “United Kids of the World” (Flosstradamus Remix) by Headhunterz – This fun song will make reading and writing flash cards easier with the beat of the synth. The occasional bass drop can wake anyone up from their sugar-crash-induced nap, should such measures become necessary.

18) “Bad” by David Guetta & Showtek – It’s all the fun of going out dancing without having to actually go out because, you know, there’s no time because of studying. Just ignore the bit about feeling good being bad. Deny the urge to ignore your studies!

19) “Powerful” by Major Lazer (feat. Ellie Goulding) – It’s a song about energy, where form follows content. Giving listeners a boost of energy when they need it, every bit helps during finals.

20) “Arabella” by The Arctic Monkeys – For taking shelter from reality.

21) “Hallelujah” by Panic! at the Disco – “The time to be sad is over.” Damn right it is! Finals are over! Done with the misery and stress of the semester. Hallelujah!