63°

Professional Brazilian and Portuguese Futsal Tournament

INTERNATIONAL FUTSAL CHALLENGE ARRIVES IN BOSTON, PROVIDENCE AND FALL RIVER IN DECEMBER! Here is an opportunity to see Futsal played at the highest levels in our area….
Futsal, for those who are not familiar, is an indoor version of soccer played without walls on a playing surface a bit bigger than a basketball court. The game is fast paced played by highly skilled players; a shot is taken an average of every 45 seconds… a goal scored every six minutes… this is the game that so many of today’s soccer stars like Messi and Ronaldo played!
And for the first time ever, Boston will host professional Futsal players from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Lisbon, and Portugal to participate in a four team Futsal tournament.
The event, which is scheduled to be played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, December 11 – 13, will be held in three different New England locations. The four teams will be featured in doubleheaders that will be played in Providence, RI, Fall River, MA and Boston, MA gymnasiums.
The All Star team from Brasil is made up of Futsal players from some of Rio De Janeiro’s biggest clubs, including Vasco de Gama, Flamengo, Botafogo, Cabo Frio and Fluminense. The All-Stars are scheduled to play against C.F. Os Belenenses of Portugal’s first division at 3 p.m. on Sunday, December 13 in the final match of this three day tournament. The match will take place at Clarke Athletic Center at the University of Massachusetts Boston and will be preceded by three time US champion Safira FC taking on the US Select at 1 p.m. as part of the Boston doubleheader.
The scheduled matches are: 
Friday, December 11:
6:30 p.m. Os Belenenses v US Select
8:00 p.m. Rio De Janeiro-Brazil All-Stars v Safira FC
Location – Recreation Center Rhode Island College Providence, RI
Saturday, December 12, Bay Coast Bank presents:
5 p.m. Rio De Janeiro-Brazil All-Stars v US Select
7 p.m. Os Belenenses v Safira FC
Location – Luke Urban Field House BMC Durfee High School Fall River, MA
Sunday, December 13:
1 p.m. Safira FC v US Select
3 p.m. Rio De Janeiro-Brazil All Stars v Os Belenenses
Location – Clark Athletic Center, University of Massachusetts Boston
More information can be found at www.internationalfutsalchallenge.com. Tickets are on sale and are sure to sell quickly since seating at these gymnasiums are limited. Tickets start at only $18 and are available online at www.ticketweb.com. VIP and group discounts are available by calling 617-513-0202 or 774-526-320.