66°

School for Global Inclusion Hosts Awards Ceremony at EMKI

EMK Institute Beacon for Global Inclusion Awards Ceremony
The School for Global Inclusion and Social Development hosted its second annual awards ceremony on Dec. 3, at the Edward M Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate.

Two honorees received awards. The first was Dorothy Stoneman, the CEO and founder of YouthBuild USA, an organization that involves youth living in low-income neighborhoods collaborating on “service projects, such as building affordable housing, community centers, and schools.” 

The second honoree that night was an organization called Partners in Health. They “[bring] high-quality medical care to people living in some of the world’s poorest places. Its priority programs address ebola, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, women’s health, and more.” They are located in Nepal, Peru, Rwanda, Haiti, and Russia, among other countries.

The event began with a cocktail hour. Food and drinks were located throughout the four corridors that together give the EMKI its square shape. Live jazz played, and the usual exhibit walls reflected statistics related to global inclusion and social development. The awards ceremony took place inside the replica senate chamber at the core of the EMKI.

Dr. William E. Kiernan, dean of the School for Global Inclusion and Social Development, kicked-off the proceedings with a few remarks, and shortly after the chancellor of the University of Massachusetts Boston, J. Keith Motley, presented a welcome address.
 Hubie Jones, the 2014 Beacon for Global Inclusion Honoree,, greeted the crowd and the awards were given by Dr. Sindiso Mnisi Weeks, a SGISD faculty.

The entire ceremony was closed by Dean Kiernan who gave a speech about his work, the beginning of the SGISD, and its future.