66°

2012 NFL Draft Preview

Courtesy of Monica’s Dad on Flickr

The NFL has become a global phenomenon and a sport that has gathered the interest of millions of people. Kids grow up dreaming to become NFL stars and a huge step in becoming one is getting drafted to an NFL team. The 77tth annual NFL draft begins April 26, when hundreds of athletes move up from the collegiate level and begin their professional careers.

Andrew Luck, the current highest-rated quarterback prospect, comes from Stanford.   This year, the Indianapolis Colts, who picked Peyton Manning in 1999, again have the number one draft pick.  Luck will be the replacement for Manning, who eventually went on to win a Super Bowl and three MVP awards.  Many believe Luck’s successful collegiate career portends success at the NFL level.

A few weeks ago, the Redskins traded three first-round picks to the Rams in exchange for the second overall pick in the draft. The second-ranked prospect is Baylor’s Robert Griffin III, also considered to be a future star in the league. With the Rams already set for the quarterback position with Sam Bradford, it was almost certain that they would trade the pick.

The Redskins have had a very shaky quarterback situation in the past few years. Two years ago they acquired Donovan McNaab, but that never panned out. McNaab didn’t accomplish much in Washington, and left the team after the season ended. This past season they did not have much success, either, with their quarterback Rex Grossman.  The Redskins are looking to revamp their franchise by getting a top prospect.

Many other prospects have gotten hype as well. Alabama’s Trent Richardson has accomplished many records in his career, and many mock drafts have him as a top-five pick in this year’s draft. They believe he will most likely go to the Browns at the fourth slot, but you never know . One of the top receivers this year is Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon. Blackmon has garnered the interest of many teams who are in need of a dominant receiver, and many believe that he will fall to the Rams, who have the Redskins’ pick at number six. Many are comparing Blackmon to Detroit Lions receiver, Calvin Johnson, because they have similar athletic ability. As runner-up to Alabama in the title game, LSU had a dominant team, especially their defense. Their defense was led by cornerback Morris Claiborne. Claiborne has declared for this year and many see him as the top defensive player in the draft. He is expected to be in the top five, and many scouts are buzzing about his ability.

It is safe to say this years draft has a lot of talent.  No matter who goes where in this year’s draft, many careers will be born and many athletes will have their dreams come true. It will truly be an event that you can’t miss, and it will be live on primetime on ESPN, April 26.