66°

Student Ramble

Photo courtesy of nick step on Flickr

Photo courtesy of nick step on Flickr

Are you one of those people who hates Bobby Valentine? Can I ask why? The guy has managed less than a month of baseball here, and fans are already calling for his head. The man has a good baseball mind that fits in well with the club, so why does everyone hate him so much?

Maybe fans can’t stand him because he called out Kevin Youkilis. Excuse me? Last time I checked, the manager of a baseball team is responsible for the team’s performance, and if one of his players isn’t pulling his weight, he can make a light criticism of him to the media. This guy isn’t Terry Francona. He won’t coddle his players and kiss them goodnight on the forehead while taking all of the abuse from the media. Bobby V. is an old-school baseball mind, and he will do whatever it takes to get good baseball out of his men.

Fans sided with Dustin Pedroia, who gave his now infamous comments about Bobby V’s style: “That’s not how we do things around here.”  Dustin, I love you, but that man is YOUR BOSS. He can say whatever he wants, and how he does things is how you will do things. The man is a part of upper management. If you work at the Cheesecake Factory, and you tell your boss that you won’t be serving a certain flavor of cheesecake anymore because “that’s not how you do things,” you’d get yelled at or fired. Bobby V. is doing his best to protect the egos on these guys, but enough is enough, shut up and play.

And if you boo this guy when he comes out to make a pitching change, you’re not a real fan. You root for the logo, not the guy who wears it. I don’t care whether or not you like this guy, but show him some respect. He took a club to the World Series in 2000, and he’s a New England native. That’s all I need to know in order to get behind the guy. He’s had some tough luck with injuries, but that’s through no fault of his. It’s also not his fault that the pitching staff has a 6+ ERA. I can’t believe I even have to write this in April, but you people need to settle down.