63°

The Student Rebuttal

Courtesy of Steve Palluch on Flickr

I’m very curious why, in the sports world, the judicial system is not carried out. The comparison between Ryan Braun and O.J. Simpson is an interesting one. OJ was acquitted for murder, but at least he went to trial. Braun only appealed the ruling. Why is it that in sports you’re guilty until proven innocent, instead of the other way, innocent until proven guilty, which is what the American judicial system is based on? Perhaps we are conditioned to that format because of Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire.

Ryan Braun tested for 20-to-1 testosterone-to-estrogen after playing a game back on Oct. 1. That game lasted almost three hours, and if you factor in the arrival time at about mid-morning, Braun’s work day lasted for about five to six hours. I’m not sure about anyone else, but when I work out for that long, my testosterone pumps a bit harder than usual. If MLB wants the truth, then they should hook him up to a lie detector.

Also, the article makes a statement about steroids. Where did that come from? ‘Steroids’ is an easy accusation in this type of scenario. Check the trainer’s office:  what hydration formulas and protein powders are sitting on those lockers? PEDs [performance enhancing drugs] are the real issue. If you want to ban a player for PEDs, then go ahead, but let’s be clear what they are. Look at Adderall.  It’s not lethal; it doesn’t enhance muscle tissue, or even make you smarter. It helps you focus and avoid distraction.  Guess what:  it’s a PED, and it’s banned by MLB. This whole school would be empty if we did testing.

I like the claim of ”technical deficiencies.” That’s why there are defense attorneys. Clients know they are guilty but they hire these lawyers who are experienced in finding the loopholes for a lesser punishment. “It’s not what you know; it’s what you can prove,” said Denzel Washington.  It was convincing, and it’s the cold facts. The man won Best Actor, give him props. Braun did just that and won as well, give him more props.

This ramble could have been elsewhere. We all will look at Ryan Braun with discreet suspicion from now on. No one is going to argue that. Guess what, the sky is blue, no one is going to argue that, either. Let’s ramble about the March Madness tournaments expanding the number of teams admitted into the tourney. Let’s ramble about ‘Bounty Gate’ and if there is anything we are missing within the analysis. Let’s not ramble about what every one else is thinking.  It is recycled material.