63°

Taking Back Sunday to Headline UMB Concert

Courtesy of Paradigm Agency

For all the snarky people who complain about cool events never coming to campus, listen up: We’re getting a kick-ass concert.

For the second year in a row, the Student Arts and Events Council (SAEC) is hosting a spring concert in the Clark Athletic Center ice rink. The show on May 9 features four acts from different genres.

Taking Back Sunday is headlining the shindig. The Long Island-based rockers have been at it since 1999, and were signed to Warner Brothers records in 2006. Their debut album with the label, “Louder Now” peaked at number two on the U.S. charts that same year. Their next two records, “New Again” and “Taking Back Sunday,” both reached the top five.

The pop-punk quintet is known for big guitars and blistering speed in their tracks, along with massive choruses. They are playing at UMass Boston between Australian and European legs of their tour, so the show should be very tight and well put together.

SAEC booked three fantastic supporting acts for TBS. Roxbury’s own rapper, Moufy, will take part in the festivities. Moufy has gained a big local following in the past year with a bunch of shows in the area, including a free performance last summer with Mac Miller at the Boston Urban Music Festival. Additionally, he has performed at UMass Dartmouth and Westfield State this past winter, which helped him build a presence at area colleges, which will soon include UMass Boston.

Dev and Kiley Evans will also appear. Dev is a California-based electropop artist who received international fame last year when her track “Booty Bounce” was sampled for Far East Movement’s “Like A G6.” She has a show at the Middle East in August, so this is a chance to see her before the rest of Boston finds out what she’s about. Evans is a local up-and-coming country artist. She recently took home Songwriter of The Year from the Massachusetts Country Music Association and her song “Johnny Depp” has received airplay on country stations across New England.

This show is a major step up from J. Cole and Far East Movement last year. It features something for everyone, and in doing so will reach a larger percentage of the student body. Tickets will be sold next week for $10 each on the first floor Campus Center terrace. A maximum of two tickets can be purchased per student ID. Be sure to get them early–you won’t want to miss this one.