63°

Beacon Update: 4/10/12

Courtesy of Beacons Athletics 

Baseball
11-9 (0-2 LEC)

The guys have had some tough games over the last stretch. They were swept in a doubleheader on Sunday against Eastern Connecticut, 8-0 and 15-2. They did, however, pull out some huge wins in non conference play. The Beacons started out last week with a 10-7 win at Westfield State and a 9-3 thumping of Framingham State. Offense has been a strength for the guys this season. They have an impressive .387 OBP as a club and are batting a very respectable .272. Pitching has been a little shaky, but Daniel Heefner has been very solid with a 2-2 record and a 1.85 ERA. The guys are now heading into the meat of their season, so we’ll have a much better idea of how this squad will turn out in a week or two.

Softball

11-7 (1-1 LEC)

The ladies have caught fire lately. They have won five of their last six games, including a sweep of MIT and an 8-1 throttling of Suffolk at home on thursday. This year’s club is a well rounded team, but is strongest at the plate. The ladies are batting a formidable .313 as a team this year, and Amanda Perry has been killing the ball lately with all seven of the Beacons’ home runs this season. Sue Killilea leads the group in batting with an outstanding .406. Freshman Michelle Zullo has been a pleasant surprise on the mound. She has a strong 6-2 record and leads the team with a 3.44 ERA. The ladies should really pick up steam with this good stretch and will definitely contend for the LEC crown when the regular season concludes.

Lacrosse

1-6 (0-1 LEC)

It hasn’t been the best season for the guys so far, but there are still a bunch of games remaining. They have had their biggest struggles this year when it comes to scoring. They managed to only put up two goals at Wheaton and three at Plymouth State last week. They lost a real heartbreaker at home against MIT on Tuesday, 9-8 in double OT. The guys have played fairly well in goal, with Anthony Fitti and Henry Bristol splitting time in the net. The guys have a team GAA of around 11, but the Beacons struggling offense has given them very limited support, so theirplay hasn’t been rewarded as much as they’d hoped. 

Men’s Tennis

4-2 (0-0 LEC)

It’s been a pretty slow couple of weeks for the guys. They’ve only played two matches over that stretch, one of which was a comfortable win at Newbury College, 9-0. Charles Laid and Alex Loyer continued their great season with wins in the shutout, bringing them to 5-1 and 4-1, respectively. Lai also got a win in the guys next match, a nail biting 5-4 loss to Suffolk. Despite that loss, the guys shouldn’t feel concerned. They have really stepped up their game in 2012 and are seeing the results. There are more challenging opponents down the road, but the guys are on aroll and should be a tough team to play for any opponent they face.

Track and Field

As has been the case all year, the team smashed some program records when they competed at the Tufts Invitational last saturday. Kebba Nasso started things off with a spectacular showing in the 200 meter, where he finished 2nd with a time of 22.15 seconds, which is also good for the Beacon record. Nasso also finished 2nd in the 100 meter with a time of 11.2 seconds Jacqueline Conway also showed up in a big way by setting the Lady Beacons record for the Pole Vault. Brittany Moore turned in a fantastic performance in the discus throw with a distance of 87 feet 8 inches. This is a real breakout season for this unit, and the success they’ve been having will continue for years to come, because this group is still very young with tons of potential.