63°

Lonestar Lady Beacon

Photo courtesy of Beacons Athletics

Have you ever felt like a fish out of water? Like what you’re doing isn’t the norm? That’s the feeling that freshman forward Emily Federspiel had for years growing up in Plano, Texas as a hockey player. Despite being in a major minority, she managed to beat the odds and was recruited by Coach Colleen Harris to play for the Beacons.

Federspiel has appeared in 18 games for the Beacons this season, and has improved as the season has gone on. She recently discussed her abnormal hockey background with the Mass Media.

When and how did you first discover hockey?

I saw the USA women’s hockey team play during the Olympics when I was about four or five, and asked my mom if I could play. She told me I could only play with boys because there were no girls to play with. At age nine my friend’s dad started an inline hockey team so I played with him and I started playing on ice when I was ten.

What was it like growing up in Texas and trying to play hockey? Did a lot of girls play? Did your high school have a team?

My hockey team was the only girl’s team in Texas. My high school only had boy’s hockey but my coach didn’t want us playing because he didn’t want us to get hurt. During the summers I went behind his back and played in the summer league for the high school.

Did you play any other sports in high school?

I quit all my sports for hockey because it was too difficult to balance both.

Was it difficult to get recruited being from the South? Did you feel like you weren’t noticed as much as you should have been?

Yes and no. My team traveled five times a year for tournaments up North, so coaches came and watched us play in those. Since we only traveled five times, coaches could only see me play maybe once or twice.

Why did you decide to come play at UMass Boston? Are you happy with your choice?

I don’t have an exact reason as to why I chose UMass but I like everything about it, and I feel like I made a very good choice coming up here.

Do you feel like your game’s improved since you came to Boston?

Yes, Coach Harris is a great coach and she has taught me a lot.

How does it feel to be in a city with such a rich hockey culture?

I think it’s awesome up here! Everyone I meet is a Bruins fan. I have been to a few Bruins game this year.