63°

Beacon Update Feb. 21, 2012

Provided by Beacons Athletics 

Men’s Basketball

5-19 (1-12 LEC)

It’s been pretty rough lately for the guys. They haven’t won in over a month, and most of those losses have been by hefty margins. Issac Jenkins holds the team lead in scoring average with 15.5 PPG, and rebounds with 6.0 RPG.

The guys have had their biggest struggles this season defensively. Over their ten game losing streak, they have allowed 70 or more points in every game, and over 80 in seven of them.

The team is very heavy on freshman, so even if this year wasn’t a success, everyone has a year of experience under their belts that they’ll be able to take into 2012-13.

Women’s Basketball

6-17 (3-10 LEC)

Like the men’s team, the ladies have had some trouble in the last few weeks. They’ve only won three of their last eleven games, but one of them was impressive OT victory on the road at Plymouth State.

The ladies were still eligible to make the LEC tournament heading into their final game of the season against Eastern Connecticut and managed to qualify for the tournament under Coach Mattingly with a 75-53 win on Feb. 18.

The Lady Beacons will be on the road for the tournament.

Men’s Hockey

12-8-3 (8-7-1 ECAC East)

They guys’ hot streak continued last weekend, when they beat University of New England and Southern Maine on back-to-back days. The guys have been the best team for the Beacons this winter, and they are heading into the ECAC tournament with all of the momentum they could ever need.

Kevin Bendel is playing about as well as you could ask, and Anthony Fitti is leading the way offensively with 24 points. The guys were heartbroken last year in their first playoff game, but this year they will be back with revenge on their mind, and this team is good enough to potentially make a serious run.

Women’s Hockey

7-13-2 (5-10-1 ECAC East)

The ladies have hit a bit of a rough patch. They’ve lost their last three matches, one in OT to Connecticut College. They will have two shots left to better their record heading into the ECAC tournament, where they will almost certainly be on the road.

Emily LaRosa has the team lead with 16 points, while Kayle Kiernan lead the way for the ladies in goals with seven. This season has been a rebuilding year for the ladies, and next year, the team should be much stronger. This year, however, they still have some unfinished business to attend to, and are looking to make some noise in the tournament.

Indoor Track

The wildly improved Beacon track team rounded out their indoor season last week with a great showing at the LEC championship meet. The men’s team finished third while the ladies finished sixth.

The men’s team was led by Tylor Hart, who took the championship in the high jump with a leap of 6’8.25. Kebba Nasso won the championship in the 400 meter with a blazing time of 49.83 seconds.

For the ladies, Samara Faustin finished 2nd in the 55 meter with a time of 7.49. Both teams are now training hard in preparation for the very competitive outdoor season, which they will be going into with one of the most successful indoor seasons in the program’s history.