66°

Female Student Robbed At Gun Point Near Peninsula Apartments

According to a Public Safety Alert email sent last night, two masked men robbed a student who was walking on Mt Vernon St to the Peninsula Apartments on Wednesday, Feb 22 around 11 p.m.  The email in full is below.

According to Campus Police Chief James Overton, a similar incident was reported to Boston Police in Savin Hill later that same night.

Overton advised students not to walk alone at night.

“There is crime in Boston like in any other big city,” the chief said. “If you feel like you are being followed, try to get to a public place and have your cell phone ready with 911.”

If students do get into this type of situation, “the last thing you want to do, especially when confronted with a weapon, is to be a hero,” Overton explained. “If someone demands your money or your bag, comply to the best of your ability.”

Public Safety Alert

February 23, 2012

When issues of concern arise that affect the UMass Boston campus, it is our practice to inform our community through a Public Safety Alert.

The Boston Police Department is investigating the armed robbery of UMass Boston student at 375 Mount Vermont Street in the Peninsula Apartments community.

On February 22 at 10:00 p.m., a female student was robbed at gun point while walking down Mount Vernon Street to the Peninsula Apartments. The suspects, wearing all black clothing and masks covering their faces, came out of the McCormack School parking lot located next to Peninsula Apartments, pointed a black-colored firearm at the victim and took her belongings. The suspects fled to the rear of the McCormack School and through an opening in the fence onto Boston College High School property. The student was not injuredduring the incident.

The suspects were described as two white males, in their 20s, all dressed in black clothing and wearing masks to hide their identity. The victim also stated that there were three white young teen males close by in the school yard, but was unsure whether they were associated with the robbers.

Anyone living in or frequenting Peninsula or Harbor Point apartments should be aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious activity immediately.

Anyone with information about this incident should contact theBoston Police Department at (617) 343-4730 or the UMass Boston Police Department at (617) 287-7799.

Jacob Aguiar served as the following positions for The Mass media the following years: News Editor: 2011-2012; Fall 2012 Leisure Editor: 2010-2011