66°

Sports Spiel 10/19/12

Image courtesy of Keith Allison on Flickr

Ray Allen’s decision to leave the Celtics for the dreaded Miami Heat left many fans in dismay.  Not only did one of their heroes leave town, he went to one of their worst enemies. I am here to tell every Celtics fan to forget about Ray Allen.

Yes, he did a lot for the team, but that’s all in the past. You shouldn’t be mad that Ray Allen left for the Heat.  Here’s why:  

First of all, Allen’s stats have been declining.  Last year he scored an average of 14.2 points per game while shooting a measly 45.8 percent from the field in the regular season. To put this in perspective, Allen hasn’t scored less than 16 points per game since his rookie year when he scored 13.4 points per game, way back in 1997.

His playoff numbers last year were abysmal. He scored 10.7 points per game at a horrible 39.5 percent rate from the field and only 30 percent from the three-point line, making only 1.6 free throws per game. The most striking playoff statistic was his free throw percentage. Ray Allen has averaged 89 percent from the charity line over his entire career.

He is known for two things: making a ton of three-pointers, and hitting his free throws. At the free throw line in last year’s playoffs, he shot 71.1 percent. It was a surreal sight during Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals between the Celtics and the Heat when he missed three consecutive free throws. It just doesn’t happen. He ended up missing four in that game. I think everyone knows how that series ended.

Secondly, at 37 years old, Allen has come to the end of his career. He missed 36 games last year due to injury.  His ankle has been bothersome, affecting the quality of his performance, especially in the playoffs. If you ask me, it wouldn’t have been worth giving him the two-year $12 million contract he would have gotten if he re-signed with the C’s. Think about it this way: The Heat will pay Allen $3 million a year for the next three years. At best, he will be a spot-up shooter off the bench with poor defense and no rebounding. If he re-signed with Boston, the starting five would be worse than last year’s because of the natural decline of each player. 

Lastly, the current Celtics roster is more formidable than last year’s even without Ray. The key will be Jason Terry, Allen’s “replacement.” At 35 years old, Terry is younger, faster, more athletic, and more of a dynamic player than Allen. Terry is also just as clutch as Allen but with better ball handling and passing. The additions of rookies Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo, as well as the trade for Courtney Lee, will provide much needed depth to the roster.

In other words, the Celtics don’t need Ray Allen. Celtics fans should be glad that he left for the Heat. Sugar Ray’s getting bitter in his old age anyway.