66°

Mass Media World Series Picks

courtesy of [email protected] on flickr

Tigers Beat Reds, 4 Games to 2

Hugh Lanstein

This year’s World Series will be one to remember, showcasing two deep well-balanced teams. I believe that the Detroit Tigers, led by Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera and 2011 AL Cy Young MVP winner Justin Verlander, will find themselves facing the Cincinnati Reds, sporting a lineup highlighted by former NL MVP Joey Votto and a bullpen secured by the dominant closer, Aroldis Chapman.

With the likes of Cabrera, Verlander, Prince Fielder, and Jose Valverde, I see this year’s Tigers overpowering their competition, including the Reds. Detroit’s dominant offense is backed by a sturdy pitching staff, one that is sure to stymie Cincinnati’s lineup in at least one game. I simply cannot see the Reds’ lineup giving their staff enough run support to erase the damage done by Detroit’s sluggers. Detroit was fifth in the AL in scoring this year while the Reds were ninth in the offensively weaker NL. Both ballparks are hitter friendly, so a slight edge goes to Detroit. Ultimately the Reds’ usually stellar pitching staff will be unable to contain Detroit’s offensive firepower, and the Reds’ punchless offense will not be able to make up the difference.

PREDICTION: Backed by a high-powered offense and dominant pitching staff, Detroit will win the 109th World Series in 6.

Yankees Beat Nationals, 4 games to 2

Nick Dayal

The race to the World Series in the American League is going to be a close one, but look for the New York Yankees to come out on top.  The Yankees are full of veterans experienced in post-season baseball, and have a deep bench with great players who would probably be starters on other teams.

The Bronx Bombers lived up the name in leading major league baseball in home runs this year, with 10 players each hitting over 10 home runs, and five of those players having over 20.

In the bullpen, Rafael Soriano has been lights-out with 42 saves. With all-time post season wins leader Andy Pettitte returning to the rotation, the Yankees will have five solid starters including C.C. Sabathia, Huroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, and Ivan Nova.

The Yanks have battled injuries this year, but with the acquisition of Ichiro Suzuki, and a great bench that includes six-time Gold Glover Eric Chavez, Andrew Jones, and backup shortstop, Eduardo Nunez, the Yankees should pick up their twenty-eighth World Series ring.

The Washington Nationals have a solid, well-rounded team. Expect them to go all the way to World Series in their first post-season appearance since 1933. They have the fourth-most hits, and the second-most home runs in the National League, led by first basemen Adam LaRoche with 32. Opposing pitching staffs don’t get a break in the line-up with six of the Nationals each having more than 15 home runs.

Gio Gonzalez, with 21 wins, and young-gun Jordan Zimmerman lead a Nationals pitching staff that has the lowest ERA in the National League. The bullpen has also been solid. 

It won’t be easy for the Nationals to represent a deep National League in the World Series, but I think they have the best shot.

PREDICTION: While the games will be close, the bats that the Yanks bring to the plate will be too much for the Nats to keep up with. Yankees in 6.

Reds beat Tigers, 4 games to 2 

Jon Mael

It’s all about the heartland for this fall classic. Cincinnati has a potent lineup, and are playing inspired ball on behalf of their manager, Dusty Baker, who suffered a minor stroke last month but has since returned to the dugout. They bring a potent lineup to the table with perennial MVP candidate Joey Votto, all-star second baseman Brandon Phillips, and upstart slugger Todd Frazier. While they aren’t exceptional in any one area of the game, they do everything well. Their defense is steady, and their starting pitching, led by Johnny Cueto and Homer Baily, is sharp. Their real secret weapon, however, is reliever Aroldis Chapman. Chapman and his 100+ mph fastballs will have to be locked in if Cincy wants to win their first World Series since 1990. 

Detroit is the clear team to beat in the AL. Their lineup is one of the strongest in the MLB behind Triple Crown winner (I still can’t believe I’m writing this) Miguel Cabrera. Prince Fielder and role players such as Austin Jackson and Delmon Young are also huge assets to a team that was very close to winning the pennant last year. The rotation, led by Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer, is clicking at the perfect time. This team simply doesn’t lose when they take a league into the ninth inning. Jose Valverde is the best closer in the game right now, and he’ll be absolutely key to Detroit snagging a pennant.

Prediction. Detroit will have a tough time, having the start on the road in Cincinnati. The Reds will win the first two, and the Tigers won’t be able to recover. Home Bailey and Cueto will come up huge. Reds win in 6.