57°

FTK? For the Kids!

FTK (For the Kids) will be a 12 hour dance marathon hosted in the Campus Center Ballroom; last year the event raised over $6,000

The mystery of the FTK was finally revealed on October 26, 2012. UMass Miracles is the student group responsible for organizing Dance Marathon events and are responsible for plastering the letters “FTK” all over campus. The concept is to raise awareness for their December 1st dance marathon event which raises money for the kids (FTK) being treated at Children’s Hospital Boston.

On Dec. 1st, participants in the dance marathon event will remain standing or dancing from 12 p.m. until 12 a.m. The event is held in the Campus Center ballrooms; live entertainment and free food are provided. Participants donate to be part of the event and also collect sponsors. Last year, the event raised over $6,000.

In addition to raising money for the hospital, the UMass Miracles center their charitable efforts on a single child. This year they have focused on their efforts on a little girl named Carla. UMass Miracles’ student leader Nora Kelso shared Carla’s story.

“Carla was born in the Dominican Republic at just 25 weeks gestation and weighing only a pound. Doctors told Carla’s parents that she was too small to survive, but Carla quickly proved them wrong. “They knew that she was special,” says Carla’s mom.

Carla’s premature birth resulted in a long list of permanent medical complications, including: cerebral palsy, chronic lung disease, brain hemorrhages, vision impairment, several blood transfusions, and motor and speech delays. When she reached ten pounds, Carla came to Children’s Hospital Boston to receive more care for the bleeding in her brain, and a permanent shunt was put in place shortly before her first birthday.

Now 6 years old, Carla demonstrates to those around her that disabilities are just a label. She plays practically any sport she can get her hands on, performs chores, attends school five times a week and still finds time to meet with 18 specialists that assist her in making more progress.

“Carla is a bright, engaging young lady who is a powerhouse of energy and lives life to the fullest,” says her physical trainer. “At school she expresses concern and love for her classmates, inspiring them with her contagious personality. Carla may have arrived a bit early, but she came prepared to do everything she wants in life.”

Those interested in participating in the Dance Marathon can register at http://www.helpmakemiracles.org/event/UMBDM/.