63°

Property Deal Results in Cash for Students

The Calf Pasture property was built in the 19th century.

UMass Boston has extended its property line by assuming ownership of The Calf Pasture Pumping Station. The castle-like building, located between lots B and D, was acquired through an agreement between the Boston Water and Sewer Commission and UMass Boston.

In exchange for the property, UMass Boston will award $2 million in $1,000 scholarships to Boston public schools students who meet UMass Boston’s acceptance standards. Graduates of Boston public schools who receive the scholarship will be awarded $500 per semester.

The scholarship can be renewed every fall, as long as the student maintains at least a 3.0 GPA, or until the student has been awarded $4,000 dollars. Students may use the scholarship funds to assist with tuition, fees and other school-related costs. The scholarship will be funded for 15 years, and it is estimated that over 1,000 students will benefit from it.

The agreement will also benefit current students who use the B and D lots by shortening their walk to campus and improving safety around the facility, which has fallen into disrepair.

The Calf Pasture property was built in the 19th century; it was one of the first of its kind. It stopped being used as a full-time facility over thirty years ago, but the Boston Water and Sewer Commission has been using it for various reasons, up until the completion their new property in Charlestown.

There is no long-term plan for the Calf Pasture Pumping Station itself, because the building is on the historic register, and there are environmental concerns which must be addressed before any work can be done.

For the meantime, the land around the Pumping Station will be used as a storage area during the construction of the Edward Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate and other projects.