63°

Boston Film Festival

This year the festival will be hosting a total of 7 world premieres and 1 US premiere.

If you’re looking for something fun and different to do in Boston this weekend check out the 28th annual Boston Film Festival. Take in all the Hollywood glitz and glamour and revel in the possibility of star sightings at Theatre 1 in Revere Hotel Boston Common. The festival is opening this Thursday, Sept. 20 and will run until Monday, Sept. 24.

Over the years the Boston Film Festival has premiered many successful movies and documentaries which are often somewhat controversial. This includes “The Last Kiss,” “The U.S. vs. John Lennon” and “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,” among others.

This year many actors and filmmakers have confirmed they will attend the event (the ladies will be cheering for “Fantastic Four”’s Chris Evans), which will host seven world premieres and one US premiere.

The Festival opens with “Butter,” a comedy directed by Jim Field Smith and written by Jason A. Micallef. The film follows an adopted girl in Iowa as she discovers her talent for butter carving, and stars some very big names including, Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman, Olivia Wilde, Ashley Greene and Alicia Silverstone.

On Friday, “A Dark Truth” makes its US premiere at the festival. The film stars Andy Garcia, Kevin Durand, Forest Whitaker, Eva Longoria, and Kim Coates. In this film directed by Damien Lee, a powerful corporation tries to privatize the water rights of third world countries by bribing and paying public officials.

Saturday brings the world premiere of “In His Footsteps,” a documentary directed by Shelley Taylor. The film follows a mother who has just lost her 32-year-old son and only child. She then retraces his footsteps all over the world where he stayed in recent years. In the film she meets both companions and strangers to her son, which ultimately leads her down her own path of healing.

The schedule truly embraces every taste. From comedy to drama, from documentaries to shorts, the best way to find out what to watch is to access the Boston Film Festival website. There you can find scheduling information, purchase tickets and, of course, watch all the trailers.

One more good reason to check out the event: Theatre 1 has just been renovated into a state-of-the-art event space in what they call “a blend of Hollywood glamour and modern technology.” All this glitter comes at student-friendly prices with tickets selling for as low as $10 per movie.

Tickets can be purchased at the door as well as through the website: bostonfilmfestival.org.